How are you saving money this week/month?

Typically on Sundays, I frantically run to the grocery store to do my shopping so I can prep my meals for the week, but this week I remembered I’d purchased extra chicken (for a discount!) the week prior and actually put it in my freezer. So I was able to use that to make all of my lunches for work this week. I also (finally) cancelled my Planet Fitness membership since I use my apartment gym instead. That’s $21 a month I’m saving!

Small win, but hey, I’ll take it!

What are some ways (big or small) you’re saving money this week/month?

Someone (unexpectedly) paid me a debt they owed, so I have $130! Its going straight into the safe for my vacation savings.

2 Likes

KellyFromKeene posted:

Someone (unexpectedly) paid me a debt they owed, so I have $130! Its going straight into the safe for my vacation savings.

Unexpected money is the best! Good for you for putting it straight into vacation savings.

KellyFromKeene posted:

I like to stash my money away too! I have multiple accounts, half of which I never access so the savings add up quickly!

2 Likes

Briana posted:

Typically on Sundays, I frantically run to the grocery store to do my shopping so I can prep my meals for the week, but this week I remembered I’d purchased extra chicken (for a discount!) the week prior and actually put it in my freezer. So I was able to use that to make all of my lunches for work this week. I also (finally) cancelled my Planet Fitness membership since I use my apartment gym instead. That’s $21 a month I’m saving!

My husband quit smoking Black & Mild’s in February. With that came other impulse purchases such as booze and Red Bulls. To support him, I stopped drinking wine. We slashed $600/month!

3 Likes

BRIANA I’m doing the same thing but not for work.
For lunches and left over dinners. I’ve allot of pork chops
and hamburger meat.

We bbq this weekend and the left over burgers will go into
another meals.

We should start a recipe thread on different foods.
Like what you turn left over dinners into or left overs
from lunch.

There was a time when I didn’t have soup on hand
and it was cold so I took some roman noodles and
added some can veggies.

I was able to pay an extra month of qvc off.

1 Like

FreebiePharm posted:

Briana posted:

My husband quit smoking Black & Mild’s in February. With that came other impulse purchases such as booze and Red Bulls. To support him, I stopped drinking wine. We slashed $600/month!

Wow, that’s both impressive and shocking!

2 Likes

Briana posted:

FreebiePharm posted:

Briana posted:

Wow, that’s both impressive and shocking!

I couldn’t help but laugh at your reply, Bonnie! Glad he decided to quit because watching it add up was quite stressful!

1 Like

FREEBIEPHARM my husband did quite smoking over a year
Ago do to a heart attack but neither of us drink. lol

My wife and I tend to not do the greatest at planning our meals ahead of time. Usually she just cooks them the night before but a lot of times we will end up not being prepared and spending extra buying fast food or from the deli at a store near work. So this week we decided to plan ahead and she found a meal plan to cover all the meals for work this week. We went to the store and purchased the ingredients and were able to stay within our budget.

Only a 4 day work week this week and then we hit the road on Friday for a short weekend road trip to Medora, ND so pretty excited about that.

@kellyfromkeene & @freebiepharm I also like stashing my money in random bank accounts as well as in jars or other places for savings. One of those stashes is for travel so we can take short trips like the one we have planned this weekend!

2 Likes

Enjoy the get-away @moore.income!

2 Likes

Ugh! I wish the persons that owe me money would pay up, it just makes for such an uncomfortable situation, especially when it’s close family. Dont they realize they will need us again …and hello, sorry, can’t help ya!

But anywho…I’m saving money this week/month by not lending any money, creative cooking with what I have in my freezer/fridge and taking stock of needs versus wants purchases.

2 Likes

Moore Income posted:

My wife and I tend to not do the greatest at planning our meals ahead of time. Usually she just cooks them the night before but a lot of times we will end up not being prepared and spending extra buying fast food or from the deli at a store near work. So this week we decided to plan ahead and she found a meal plan to cover all the meals for work this week. We went to the store and purchased the ingredients and were able to stay within our budget.

Only a 4 day work week this week and then we hit the road on Friday for a short weekend road trip to Medora, ND so pretty excited about that.

@kellyfromkeene & @freebiepharm I also like stashing my money in random bank accounts as well as in jars or other places for savings. One of those stashes is for travel so we can take short trips like the one we have planned this weekend!

Have a great weekend trip!

2 Likes

Arica posted:

Ugh! I wish the persons that owe me money would pay up, it just makes for such an uncomfortable situation, especially when it’s close family. Dont they realize they will need us again …and hello, sorry, can’t help ya!

But anywho…I’m saving money this week/month by not lending any money, creative cooking with what I have in my freezer/fridge and taking stock of needs versus wants purchases.

That definitely can be frustrating! But not lending more money is a great start. I also love cooking with what I end up having in my fridge. You never know what you can find!

1 Like

For this week i have all of my meals planned until Saturday And i was able to redeem rewards points to save money on Groceries that i bought on Sunday.

3 Likes

ARICA I understand that. When we was younger
and only had 4 kids my husband and I had our
own business. But the thing is we kept paying for
his mom’s,sisters,niece trips across the USA. Sadly
by the time we put our foot down my husband health
went he in his 40’s.

We all so did the same the thing with another family
member who promised us the world when we moved
to our last place. Well it ended up with the family member
parting ways and us to. with me own allot of credit cards
bills. Never again.

MOORE INCOME have a great trip with your wife.
Oh and our son has started a change jar to. So we
both have one of those big snack jars and saving
our change, Only thing is I don’t cash mine in he
comes to me when he wants to buy some thing.
I buy his change from him. lol

I’m glad allot of you are planning meals weekly or by
the month. It does save allot of money. I’m waiting
on chicken breast to go on sale. Than I’ll have just
about every meat I can think of that we like. I prefer
boneless pork chops over bone in but at a buck a pound
it was a good deal.