How much do you all think is a REASONABLE amount to have saved?

How much do you all think is a REASONABLE amount to have saved? I’m not talking retirement, I mean $ that you have set aside for emergencies, etc. I know that the experts say that we should have 3 months worth. I find that the majority of people I work with want to have $500 or $1000. I’m always trying to get them to raise that number, but realistically, how much do you shoot to keep in savings??

2 Likes

I have heard 3 months and I have heard 6 months. For me personally, I would prefer more as it would give me more time to recover from a setback.

I would say to have 6 months at least of the major expenses (rent/mortgage, car, etc.)

As long as I had enough to cover the most important things, that would give me the ability to figure the rest out as I go.

With a place to live, transportation and food for 6 months if I didn’t have a job, I am sure I would be able to figure out a way to cover any other expenses that may arise.

1 Like

Yes, 6 months is ideal. But realistically, I don’t see many people (very VERY few) doing that. I know that the people I work with are low income (Section 8), and trying to encourage savings is tough. I don’t even bring up the 6 months idea because it’s so far outside of what most people think is possible that they don’t even shoot for it. I’d be thrilled to see everyone I work with have a $3000 cushion, but so many just try for $500 and that’s tough. Some are starting from a place where there is not an extra cent, but most could put aside 5$ or 10$ a paycheck. Much of the time, tax returns go to car repair which of course is necessary to keep a job here- limited public transportation.

I’m just trying to find out what people realistically want/what an attainable shorter term goal is/ saved, without asking for the actual number. I wouldn’t ask this in a public forum, but I am very curious what people have saved, and is it as little as the experts are saying it is.

1 Like

I had heard about 6 months worth of salary and tried hard to save for over 15 years without much success. As soon as I would start building a few thousand, it seemed something would happen (major home repair, need a running car, etc.) and instead of incurring yet another debt, I’d use what we’d managed to save. A few years ago I decided to create a list of the absolute minimum we could survive on a month - basically an absolute bare bones budget and we decided to target saving 3 times that amount.

We opened and online account and budgeted $50 a week to go into this account. This was separate to our regular savings - since that trying to use that had never worked out for us. In addition, if we received an unexpected bonus like birthday money or those two months a year when you have an extra payday (if you get paid weekly or biweekly) then we’d put anything from a 1/4 to 1/2 from that into the online account.

Last year we finally made our goal of 3 months and it wasn’t a strain at all. Now we’re shooting for 6 months. Having that separate online account really helped. About a year and a half ago, I opened and moved that money into a high yield savings account.

To get some extra money into my budget back then, I did two things. 1) I negotiated my internet/TV/telephone plan down $50 for two years. Warning - this was pretty painful and I was on the verge of leaving before they agreed to change my plan. 2) I shopped around and managed to save a little over another $50 a month on our insurance rates.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Thank you @thesugarfreelife! Very helpful. I love to real life examples when talking with people. I know it makes me personally feel more like things are possible rather than reading about someone who doesn’t even seem real to me.

It all depends, 3 months is not bad but I would wish to save more. I currently set a 5 thousand mark for myself by the end of the year, I’ve worked harder to achieve it before even half of the year, but now I have to find another job because my contract ended, and I’m feeding off paycheck to paycheck trying so hard not to dip into my savings/emergency fund just yet. but if I ever have to, that should be able to take me over 5 or 6 months while getting myself back together with my money spending habits and bills

4 Likes

Have any of you seen some research that JPMorgan Chase recently did on the topic, How Much Cash Buffer Do You Need? Surprisingly, they didn’t opt for the usual touted 3-6 month amount, but for amounts based on where you are in life. There’s a data visualization exercise that you can complete that gives you some idea of what they say your absolute minimum savings could be. Here’s the link: https://institute.jpmorganchas…ome-volatility-chart

Jean Chatsky from Her Money talked about this same thing in this weekend’s podcast. I think what they are pointing out is that saving money is extremely difficult for low-income or the over-burdened. When you say something to them like you need 3-6 months of expenses saved, that’s a far reach.

Example from data I selected in the Chase chart:

“Families with incomes less than $29,000 and a primary account holder aged 35 to 44 should have a minimum liquid cash buffer of 7.4 weeks to weather a simultaneous income dip and spending spike, which equates to $2,5661.” <not me, I’m a senior citizen?>

I’m semi-retired now, but when I worked full-time as a contractor I didn’t feel covered unless I had 6 months of bills set aside. But, I don’t really need that much now.

4 Likes

I think the general recommendation is 3-6 months. Realistically I only have like a month right now. It’s not easy.

1 Like

Exactly, @lismox, it’s definitely not easy to reach the goal of 3-6 months in savings. But one month is a start and if you could use some of your stimulus as a boost, that would help. That’s what I’ll be doing. Take care.

1 Like

We have a 2 year emergency fund. Mary Hunt many years ago, (late 90s) said a family of 4 should have $10,000 in their freedom fund. We follow Dave Ramsey, he says 3-6 months of expenses, and $1000 for beginning emergency fund. Save what you can while you can. Save as much as you can, even 5-10 dollars a week. My motto is, save something.

2 Likes

I had been in prep mode for most of 2019 for a recession as we were long overdue. Then reports of a viral infection that was deadly added to my discomfort of being financially unprepared. I started the year with about 2.5 months of liquid savings and now I’m sitting on about 5 months.

2 Likes

@myron.h.jackson posted:

I had been in prep mode for most of 2019 for a recession as we were long overdue. Then reports of a viral infection that was deadly added to my discomfort of being financially unprepared. I started the year with about 2.5 months of liquid savings and now I’m sitting on about 5 months.

That was really smart Myron! I now have about 2 months saved but I’d feel a lot better with 6. Something this coronavirus has shown me was to be prepared!

1 Like