How to save money on ziploc bags used for food storage

instead of buying baggies for food storage you use the plastic bags that you get at the market to put fruit and vegetables.

2 Likes

What also works well is the plastic bags newspapers come in, if you have home delivery.

Often we reuse the store produce bags, keep them clean and dry and have a 2nd or 3rd life holding leftovers, etc.

1 Like

Thank you I personally received those bags but I appreciate the new money saver advise.

1 Like

I routinely wash out good quality zip lock bags that have held non meat items. Let them air dry. // Reuse bread bags to store portion sized meat in the freezer. Then toss when done. // I pick up and use Tupperware containers at yard sales and thrift stores and use them instead of bags in many situation. They are very durable. Pricey when new. The only downside. They have a lifetime guarantee, however it’s really hard to find dealers willing to do the work involved in getting replacement lids (for example) that cracked during normal use.

2 Likes

These are good ideas, however I would have concern with plastic news paper bags being contaminated by both news paper ink along with who ever put the paper in the bag. I delivered news papers years ago so I know all about that first hand. Now with wonderful covid virus and its potential transmission in closed areas I simply don’t know if news paper plastic bags are worth what you would save in funds. Personally I replaced all my plastic containers with glass which have lids that seal well. Sure glass for storage of food costs more on the front end, but the reusability and safety it affords over plastic is worth it to me. Thank you for he good idea.

2 Likes

I wash the bags out as well, the heavier duty ones. Sandwich bags for my youngest get thrown away because he would never remember to bring them home. I have not tried the wax fabric wrap or bags- has anyone? How well do they work/last?

Hello there,
When I bring bulk meats back from Costco, I use wax paper. I get the wax paper that has wax on 1 side of the paper. I wrap meat in the wax paper individually. I then put the meat into zip lock storage bags for freezing.
Do not get the wax paper that has both sides coated with wax.

On Oct 6, 2020, at 10:31 AM, The Penny Hoarder Community <community@thepennyhoarder.com> wrote:

1 Like

I bought bags from Dollar Tree brand, that are cheaper. I don’t feel bad for throwing them away after one use. I use them mainly for grapes, etc.

1 Like

we do reuse zip lock bags after washing them w/ detergent. always date and list what is in the bag. i have some bags that are in use for 5 plus years. we do use tupperware boxes that we inherited from family. look at thrift shops for spare lids. we know that some of our tupper ware is over 50 years old. it really does last.

2 Likes