It’s Time for a Pantry Raid!

Chicken and egg and beef prices, oh my! Food costs continue to rise for a lot of popular items but we’ve still got to eat, right?

I try to maintain a well-stocked pantry (and fridge and freezer), so that I can whip up a meal by buying just a few things to augment. If I have eggs, it’s easy to make a frittata with fresh veggies bought at the last minute, frozen spinach from the freezer and grated Swiss cheese purchased on sale. A jar of red sauce, dried pasta and seasoned bread crumbs already in the pantry come in handy to make Spaghetti with Meatballs when I find ground beef on sale.

Of course, the trick is to assess what you have and needbefore you shop. I sometimes forget to do this even though this is the best way for me to take advantage of what’s on sale.

Some of the shelf-stable foods I like to have: Various types of canned tomatoes, tuna, black beans, garbanzo beans, corn, chicken stock, salsa, crackers and peanut butter.

There’s more, of course, but I am wondering what food items you always have on hand and what your shopping strategies are to stock the pantry.

Me? I am a fiend for the BOGO items at the grocery store where I shop. Somehow, I am never more smug than when I can score two big cans of albacore tuna for the price of one!

5 Likes

Yes, yes, yes @janet.keeler.

2 Likes

I’ve been shopping the values. For example, I make stir fry once a week. I used to use chicken, but have not been finding any good deals. So, when I go out (three different local grocery stores) I look for good alternatives. A few weeks ago, it was a piece of beef for under $4 that sliced up nice and when into the stir fry. Last week, I threw in a good value on stew meat. I also shop for value in vegetables. My Aldi’s has frozen broccoli crowns for .77 a bag. I can’t buy fresh for that!

4 Likes

We keep plenty of “fancy” flour on hand for pizza nights, great when cheese and other toppings go on sale. Also, you can put just about anything on a pizza (in reason) and it’ll be good.

Same goes for masa – it’s easy to whip up tortillas or masa patties when the urge hits or we want to switch things up. Let’s just hope that cilantro doesn’t shoot up to $10 a bunch and limes don’t start going for $5 each!

2 Likes

i always jeep ground turkey and i can whip up a chili in no time

2 Likes