Food prices?! Share your stories (and pics)!

Food Prices_Community

I know food prices are on the rise with inflation and all, but it’s really eye opening just how expensive things are getting. For example, just yesterday, a I saw dozen eggs a Walmart going for nearly $8 a dozen. Just a few years ago they were only $2…

walmart eggs

Have you noticed any grocery store staples that are now insanely expensive? Feel free to share a pic and vent!

2 Likes

1 Like

NO pics, but going to the grocery store is my most HATED task!

I hate to cook, and hate to spend money on food that I then have to cook. :roll_eyes: A year and a half ago, eggs at Aldi were 88 cents. Now they are 6.50. I have a food budget of $480 a month for me, my husband, and 2 teen boys. It is getting harder and harder to make that satisfying. I mean, I can definitely keep within that budget, but we are getting less meat.

1 Like

will i brought 6 eggs and paid 4.00 dollars for them i am on a computer where i can’t take a picture but this is really crazy

2 Likes

2 Likes

This is what I got 6 eggs for 4.00 dollars it’s so sad how the prices have gone up why???

2 Likes

I hear you, as a family we hardly get any meat, seafood or poultry, I find that its way too expensive for a family of three living off one income… fruits and vegetables in smoothies are the best outcome for us. We love making stir fried rice and beans with ginger, garlic, green peppers and onions seasoned with soy source, honey and sasson. You do what you gotta do…

2 Likes

Egg prices are not due to inflation but supply shortages due to a sickness in chickens that is goin around

2 Likes

hello Tamatupe2210 nice to meet you welcome to this great community and i agree we have to do what we have to do to keep going

2 Likes

Just saw Oscar Mayer bacon for sale for $12!

oscar mayer bacon

1 Like

It pays to shop around. Went to one store yesterday and the price of eggs was 7.29. Went to a different store today and scored a dozen cage fee eggs for 2.99. It is like everything these days, you have to shop around for good prices, Know your stores and who sells what at the best price.

2 Likes

Wow that’s very expensive for one dozen. We buy 5 dozen at a time - we can sometimes get a flat at Safeway on sale for around $10. We just bought a box of 5 dozen at Walmart for $13 and some change. It’s one of those things that helps to buy in bulk. I do all the grocery shopping in our house and I plan meals around what [meat] is on sale. I don’t have any pictures but would be happy to share recipes if anyone wanted. I’m on a diet for an upcoming surgery so I’ll live vicariously through this post. Examples of recipes we make: we will buy a value pack of chicken breasts and make fajitas, stir fry, cornbread casserole, chicken parm, sesame chicken, green salsa enchiladas, or chicken pot pie. Or we will buy a 3 lb of ground turkey (my wife does not eat beef) for $12 and make penne pasta with spinach, burritos/tacos, a meatball spaghetti bake, mexican stuffed shells, biscuits and gravy, gyros, baked ziti, or turkey burgers. When pork is on sale we do pork carnitas, pork shoulder, pork chops, or a butternut squash pork recipe.

2 Likes

wow i knew about the prices of eggs but not bacon

2 Likes

Eggs are back down to $4 at Walmart!

1 Like

I was in a grocery store that was selling individual eggs- 35 cents each!

1 Like

Wow thats so crazy how can they do this?? and expect people to buy them ???

2 Likes

Food prices…yikers! I don’t have any pictures to share but I do shop at a wholesale company for a lot of things I purchase at a grocery store that are not food…like laundry soap, bath items etc. But I also get snack items wholesale and next month I will be getting a beef package at wholesale so that should start helping a lot. The company is just starting to sell beef. Always looking for good deals. The nice thing is I can shop online and it ships. Anyone else have good ideas of where to shop?

2 Likes

20230325_101009

I’m not sure I would ever buy this but real corned beef is a favorite of mine. I saw a youtuber turn this into corned beef hash for dinner. I looked at the ingredients today and oh my that is ALOT of salt and preservatives. Neither of these is made in the US. Definitely will make my own and skip the processed can stuff.

2 Likes

@saving.shannon Do you make yours from scratch? Each year for St. Patrick’s Day we buy the corned beef that’s sold in the meat department and ready to be boiled right out of the bag. Never tried the canned stuff and not sure I want to!

1 Like

I bought the corned beef in the store. I cubed it then I pressure canned it without that ‘extra’ seasoning packet. Cost per pint jar was $3.80 and there are no other ingredients in mine except for the brinded beef. Very lean and just the right amount for me to have two meals from each pint jar. I made enough to have 2 jars every month for the next 15 months. It’s cheaper, healthier and more convenient than fast food.

3 Likes