Tax Reform 2019

Hi, I am a tax preparer and have been doing taxes for over 20 years. Here are a few changes that are going into effect this year:

• Personal Exemptions have been removed

• Standard deductions have been almost doubled

• Tax brackets have been changed. They have gone down.

• Business expenses for non self employed personnel have been eliminated.

I will be happy to explain any of these for anyone who would like. Those are just a few.

7 Likes

Thank you, @lisa.eichinger, for sharing your expertise with the community. What about charitable donations?

You can still write off charitable donations; however they fall under the itemized section and if your total itemized deductions are less than the standard deduction, it won’t be beneficial to take the itemized deductions.

1 Like

@lisa.eichinger Thank you! Now that the standard deduction has almost doubled, I suspect a lot less returns will be itemized.

Yes I would say so. That’s what the government was hoping for so it could be easier on the tax payers and less mistakes could be made.

Lisa Eichinger posted:

Hi, I am a tax preparer and have been doing taxes for over 20 years. Here are a few changes that are going into effect this year:

• Personal Exemptions have been removed

• Standard deductions have been almost doubled

• Tax brackets have been changed. They have gone down.

• Business expenses for noon self employed personnel have been eliminated.

I will be happy to explain any of these for anyone who would like. Those are just a few.

What are the changes for personal businesses and the self employed?

We’re resident aliens and I read somewhere for dependent (kids), will they still be eligible for child credit or not? Heard there are some changes ?

Lynn - personal businesses and the self employed didn’t have much change.

• You may be able to deduct up to 20% of your qualified business income from your qualified trade or business, plus 20% of your qualified REIT dividends and qualified PTP income. The deduction can be taken in addition to your standard deduction or itemized deductions.
1 Like

Amronnie -

• Yes, dependent children need to have a SSN for the child tax credit. If they do not have an SSN then there is a new credit for other dependents that the children would fall under. It is a credit of up to $500 per child.

How are you supposed to file as an independent contractor?

Brianna,

What exactly do you mean?