The Financial Benefits of Living Your Best Life

I’ve noticed a theme in our “Save Money” vertical with many of our articles titled like, “How to Save Money Streaming” or, “10 Ways to Life-Hack Your Next Dinner Out”. This got me thinking, why are we so focused on finding ways to save on activities that will always have a price tag attached to them when there are plenty of free (dare I say, more enriching) substitutes?

For example, substitute your nightly Netflix binge with a trip to your local library and hunt for a page turner.

Benefits:

• FREE.

• Gets you out of the house (fresh air rocks…and is free).

• Allows you to incorporate another fun activity into the travel time, like biking through the prettiest neighborhood in your city on your way there (free workout)!

• Books enrich your life, help you become a better writer, open your mind to new ideas, and help you carry on interesting conversations (free supplemental education).

Now try listing out the benefits of watching Breaking Bad for 4 hours and tell me the choice isn’t obvious. Imagine all of the fun and free things you could do in the time it takes you to research the best deal on multiple streaming services!

What are some of your frugal lifestyle swaps that encourage you to live your best life?

5 Likes

I love this!

I’ve actually created a weekend routine out of finding a free yoga class in town – luckily in St. Pete, most of the places where free yoga is held there are beautiful parks or Saturday markets nearby to walk around in after!

Free workout, sunshine, and company. What could be a better way to spend a Saturday?

A few girls and I opt to stay in sometimes on Friday nights and hold a book club, where we can cook dinner, drink wine and talk about the latest book we’re reading. Another free and fun weekend event to look forward to!

4 Likes

Briana posted:

I love this!

I’ve actually created a weekend routine out of finding a free yoga class in town – luckily in St. Pete, most of the places where free yoga is held there are beautiful parks or Saturday markets nearby to walk around in after!

Free workout, sunshine, and company. What could be a better way to spend a Saturday?

A few girls and I opt to stay in sometimes on Friday nights and hold a book club, where we can cook dinner, drink wine and talk about the latest book we’re reading. Another free and fun weekend event to look forward to!

I am also a free-yoga finder! I’d love to join your wine book club!

4 Likes

Yes! And we’ll also have to trade free yoga spots – I’m always looking for new ones!

2 Likes

I can appreciate your viewpoint on this topic.

Far too many people waste time on trivial things not realizing that they are wasting away the most valuable thing in their life!

My wife and I bought one when we moved into our apartment but we rarely use it.

One day my friend came over and asked me why we still had the “yellow energy sticker” on it from when we bought it. We realized we actually use it so little we didn’t even realize it was there and didn’t take the time to remove the sticker from the corner of the screen!

We will soon be getting rid of the TV and many other things as we are planning to follow our dream to travel and we have realized that most of the stuff we own isn’t going to help us make that dream happen!

4 Likes

Moore Income posted:

I can appreciate your viewpoint on this topic.

Far too many people waste time on trivial things not realizing that they are wasting away the most valuable thing in their life!

My wife and I bought one when we moved into our apartment but we rarely use it.

One day my friend came over and asked me why we still had the “yellow energy sticker” on it from when we bought it. We realized we actually use it so little we didn’t even realize it was there and didn’t take the time to remove the sticker from the corner of the screen!

We will soon be getting rid of the TV and many other things as we are planning to follow our dream to travel and we have realized that most of the stuff we own isn’t going to help us make that dream happen!

Haha! Yeah, I think leaving the sticker on is a clear sign that the TV isn’t sparking too much joy into your lives! That is awesome that you and your wife have taken the time to consciously acknowledge which items/activities will help you reach your dream of travel and which are hindering it! Looking forward to hearing more from you!

4 Likes

For me I’m home most of the time with
my husband because he needs 24/7 care
but i’ll be getting a library card and checking
out some books to read.

To i got a bum knee and need that checked out
having problems walking.

I use to walk allot its one thing i loved to do and
it kept the weight off of me.

4 Likes

I like everyone idea here…I been house bound for 2 years now and going crazy in the house…I really only get out is when I’m going to my trillion of doctors…I’m more mobile now than I had been in 2 years…

I want to enjoy life like I used too before my illness set in…I’m in the house too much and it is depressing…

5 Likes

Leah Caldwell posted:

I like everyone idea here…I been house bound for 2 years now and going crazy in the house…I really only get out is when I’m going to my trillion of doctors…I’m more mobile now than I had been in 2 years…

I want to enjoy life like I used too before my illness set in…I’m in the house too much and it is depressing…

Hi there, Leah! I am sorry to hear that. Sending you healing thoughts for a speedy recovery! Maybe when you have doctor’s appointments in the future, you can research a coffee shop or new lunch spot that looks good to you and plan a fun event around it

5 Likes

@eroberts…Thank you! I was thinking that too…I need fresh air and to get back into life…I’m trying to build myself back up…It is weird not working in corporate world but I’m blessed to be here…I will have Dr for the rest of my life and take meds and have treatments but I have to let this illness know it do not have control of me nomore.

I actually was out the house on Sat all day and was sleep all day Sunday…My body was overwhelm but I enjoy it…

5 Likes

My “living the best life” kind of conflicts with your article, but still fits. I pay for an NHL TV subscription. I am a huge hockey fan and, luckily, live outside the market area (MN resident who is a Pittsburgh fan). This is a big part of my social life - watching games with friends. However, instead of spending money periodically at sports bars and only getting to watch a few games that way, I spend in one year for the NHL TV and Hulu TV monthly app a lot less than I spent at sports bars. And I get 99% of the games.

My friends come over, I make Pittsburgh style food usually. I feel connected to my family around the country who are also fans. Even though we are in separate households, I know we are all watching the game at the same time. We have a great time and my friends and their kids I know will have memories of spending time watching the games at my house. And making fun of me for how I yell at the TV

5 Likes

I pay for 200 cable channels on 3 TVS and I only watch about 5 channels ever. I recently finally called the cable company to cut back some costs to be able to keep cable. I saved $50 per month but she talked me into a plan that is bigger than I need for just myself. I will have to build up the will to call and get thru to an agent again and cut out even more.

During the height of the pandemic, I did not have cable just the internet and was streaming Sling TV and other channels. I was just as happy watching my shows on my laptop. But once finances loosened up I fell back into the cable trap. I missed my 65 " 4K picture. lol. Now my first “new” bill is coming due and I just feel the pain of handing them $200 this month.

I like cable but not the price tag.

Anyone else cut cable TV out of their lives recently that has any tips?

2 Likes

@leslie.kay. Cable? I stopped that in 2015 just before I retired (semi). I had to decide what to eliminate, and it was honestly an easy choice. I mostly watched HGTV. I liked to watch the shows of people buying homes in other countries and the Income Property show and Mike Holmes. Oh, and the original Law & Order episodes.

1 Like