Tips for grocery shopping

I have been buying the family groceries for 40 years. It was cheaper going by myself! I use a free program called Now You’re Cooking to enter recipes, plan menus for two weeks at a time and print out the shopping list from the menu plan. Nowadays I have Walmart deliver the groceries when I buy online. It’s worth it to me so that I do not have to spend 1.5 hours shopping in the store. Something weird about taking an item off the shelf, putting it in the cart, unloading the cart at checkout loading groceries in the car and then bringing them inside to store.! I do not check the entire pantry because in today’s world it might be better to keep what I have and buy replacements while I can. If a store is out of an item I check ALL the way back to see if any remain at the back of the shelf!

4 Likes

My husband is a fantastic shopper, he has my blessing and he does a really fantastic job hunting for bargains.Our only problem is sometimes there are too many of a certain item, like green beans, when this happens, we give the stuff away until we have a comfortable, usable level of product.

One thing we have noticed lately is the newspapers used to have weekly adds from the local stores, looks like that has been discontinued.

4 Likes

Lucky woman!

4 Likes

It’s just my husband and me now. I have found that buying a month or two’s worth of groceries at a time saves me more money. We still have to run in to the store once in a while to get perishables like dairy and fresh vegetables. But I hated buying a weeks worth of groceries every week. We also don’t get meat from the grocery store. We buy that in bulk from a local butcher. It’s more expensive but we don’t get all the chemicals grocery stores put in their meat and the taste is wonderful. So one month I get meat, and the next month I get regular groceries. And my monthly budget for groceries is $225.

3 Likes

We have a great small grocery store within walking distance that can cover our basic grocery needs and has very reasonable prices. Plus some unique specialty items, which is a bonus. We love walking our toddler there for a few items for dinner or to grab some essentials in a pinch – good excuse to work in some exercise.

We’d ideally bulk up our pantries at Costco every few months, but it’s quite the trek to get there and it’s guaranteed to be very crowded.

So we go to a big box store once a week and shop their deals, which are usually found in their app or online these days, so you make a list beforehand and avoid too many impulse purchases.

1 Like

Yes, Online grocery shopping made it easy! ?

1 Like

i enjoy shopping in the store, looking for sales using coupons and getting things that were on sale that i didn’t know about

1 Like