What financial advice would you give your 18 year old self?

I’m pretty sure many young people are on the lookout to making incomes at an early age.

Share some of your tips or advice you would give your younger self!

Save the most.

I know its painful at that age to save more, but starting early is so important to massing an amount of money that will allow you financial independence later on in life. I have a friend who went into a good state job right after high school and maxed out all incentives along the way. He is now retired ( late 40’s) but works part-time in something he enjoys. Life. Is. Good.

2 Likes

@arica posted:

Save the most.

I know its painful at that age to save more, but starting early is so important to massing an amount of money that will allow you financial independence later on in life. I have a friend who went into a good state job right after high school and maxed out all incentives along the way. He is now retired ( late 40’s) but works part-time in something he enjoys. Life. Is. Good.

It really is painful and hard to save at an age where you want to explore the most. A quote helped me save, “Do something today that your future self will thank you for.”

2 Likes

Half of me says this…make lots of babies-there’s nothing wrong with single mothers, make lots of debt and walk away, go on welfare, don’t hold onto a job, borrow money and do not repay, drive a car without insurance, get as many credit cards as possible and charge to the limit and refuse to be responsible, move often, have excuses ready at all times, block callers, have lots of social media, find prey who can pay for you, live at home, lots of cell phone plans paid for by others, never sign a lease-get lots of destructive pets in “your” apt, never clean up after yourself-be a slob-garbage all over where you inhabit is valuable, have lots of parties, never share, have someone co-sign on a loan & then default, keep your high school level job-you have a good future with your potential-you are amazing, tattoos & piercings-the more you have the better it is, your opinion counts-be loud about it, people have to earn your respect… what did I forget?

Do NOT accumulate debt! Spend no more than what you earn. Save money. Live within your means. Oh, and DON’T fall into the student debt.

2 Likes

First- if u want to go to college- there r many scholarships out there. For example, American Indian, Jewish, etc.many business Ed also give scholarships. U have a computer- get on it & search it. If u don’t have a computer- go to the library.

Next- ask everyone & anyone if they know anyone that is sponsoring a scholarship. Ask ur peers first.

next- Go online & look for any internships. Of course, paid would b great. But if not- get any one u can.

If u choose not to go to college( which is the norm now a days)- do u have any interests. Be open to even moving for a position. Sometimes it turns out better that way. Start making money- that’s the plan. I taught special Ed students before my children were born. After- I took a position as a floral designer ; they taught me because I wanted to learn.

these r the first steps.

Stop the partying and wasting money. Focus on education.

Say no to credit card debt!

Seriously, that was my biggest financial mistake.

Notice, I did not say “credit cards” but rather credit card debt.

Credit cards have their place and can be very useful, but it is so easy for them to become something you begin relying on and when used incorrectly can cause you to fall behind financially very quickly.

If I were 18 again, I would make sure I understood this very clearly.

1 Like

I wouldn’t do anything differently as an 18 year old as I was on my own and living sparsely. However, after graduating college and making money, I started blowing it. Number one. Don’t eat out all the time and save your cash. Bake your own muffins and make your own coffee at home. Pack a lunch. Take walks at lunchtime if you want to get out of the office. Even take out is cheaper than eating in a restaurant. I easily blew 1/7th of my take home pay on eating out. CRAZY. Number two. Take out an IRA. Retirement comes much sooner than you think and compound interest over a long period of time is a wonderful thing if used to your advantage. Number three. Update skills in your chosen profession and don’t be afraid of failing a class and losing the tuition. (I could have easily paid for numerous classes if I hadn’t blown so much elsewhere.)

So much I’d tell 18-year-old me! Don’t look at credit cards as free money. Calculate how many hours you’d have to work to afford it before you buy it, then go from there. Always have a contingency plan for life. And remember everything you learned in Project Business.

At age 18, have got alot to do, some which may make my life better, or some which may ruin my life. But this is the age that will determine my future. I would let myself do what it wont do the future, coz that’s the age but let it not be negative. I will allow myself to always be accountable on whatever I do.

Don’t fall into debt. Save money. Invest in retirement as soon as you can. Don’t make decisions on impulse or desperation. Watch your health. Don’t date someone who doesn’t share your philosophy on money, religion, children, or politics. You will be miserable if you end up in a long term relationship. If you don’t date them, you don’t risk giving your heart away to them and potentially destroying your life.