About stimulus check

The news just said that you can claim stimulus check on 2019 or 2020 taxes ? I am a little confused …or does it mean wait and file all checks next yr ?

2 Likes

Liz Weston on AP or NextWallet just covered something on this topic Friday, Feb. 12, I think. See if you can find that, or check cnet.com. Lots of talk about this topic now.

sure is a lot of talk i would like to know also thank you for sharing

This was a helpful article for me that may answer your question.

https://money.yahoo.com/key-ta…funds-150021280.html

Greetings, the wording used by media can be confusing. When you file your 2020 taxes there will be a question asking if you received the stimulus. If answering no, it will guide you through more questions to be able to claim your funds. Even if you haven’t filed in 2019, you can still claim both stimulus.

Sounds like they want you to claim them as income so they can tax it like they do to your unemployment that you put money I to.

I’m not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but I’ll try anyway. I live in Maryland, and recently the state approved a stimulus package, but unlike the ones passed by Congress it didn’t include people who receive SSI and/or SSDI and therefore don’t usually need to file taxes. Maryland’s was based on whether or not you were eligible this year or last year for the earned income tax credit (I don’t even really know what that is). They also claimed that even if you don’t usually file taxes because you don’t have to, which I don’t because I receive both SSI and SSDI, that you are still eligible for the credit if you were to file? I’m confused and any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Did you file just in case…?

@sandrab posted:

The news just said that you can claim stimulus check on 2019 or 2020 taxes ? I am a little confused …or does it mean wait and file all checks next yr ?

I hadn’t filed my 2019 taxes, but I was told by a tax professional that I could go ahead and file for 2020 and that I would get my stimulus.checks.

So I did my taxes myself, using Turbo Tax, which was very user friendly, straight forward AND FREE, and I got all 3 stimulus payments last week! It took about a month, which was longer than Turbo Tax promised, but it came with no warning. As long as you don’t have any major liens against you, even if you haven’t filed for years, do your 2020 taxes and you’ll receive any and all stimulus payments that are owed to you. It happened to me. ?