Called back from 3 months on furlough

Hello, it’s been awhile as I’ve been on furlough. Called back and grateful, however, no longer on salary and am not guaranteed enough days to make my bills. Discouraged and looking for another job. Thanks for listening. Karen

1 Like

It’s always hard to deal with a reduction in income. I’m glad you had the stability for awhile, and I hope you are able to find another job that will provide it for you again.

You should still qualify for unemployment at the reduced hours. I’m in the same situation (sort of). I’ve been called back to work part time, so I get my part time pay and unemployment on the hours that I am not working. Look into it, because as long as you are collecting unemployment, even if it’s $1, you still get the $600 weekly (at least until the end of this month).

3 Likes

JeremyM is correct. You can file for unemployment pandemic benefits. Depending on what your state’s criterion is will determine your primary(state level) benefit amount. Then, because your reduced hours and change in wage amount is due to the pandemic, you should qualify for the additional federal benefit of $600 weekly.

Each state is different though. In Arizona you have to have applied for your unemployment benefits first. Meaning the regular unemployment benefits you would normally apply for upon being furloughed or fired. Then you have to file a claim for the pandemic unemployment benefits. So it was like applying twice. And each week on Sundays I have to certify under the pandemic claim I am still unemployed and it’s because of the pandemic.

But it was definitely worth the time. They backdated it to when the federal assistance was enacted and I received a nice direct deposit and each week about $700. So it helps immensely!

And, from what I hear, they are probably going to extend the federal unemployment assistance past its original termination date at the e end of July. So definitely apply as quickly as you can. Good luck and hang in there.

I am still looking for a job. Wish me luck. Take care ya’ll.

1 Like

@karen.robinson posted:

Hello, it’s been awhile as I’ve been on furlough. Called back and grateful, however, no longer on salary and am not guaranteed enough days to make my bills. Discouraged and looking for another job. Thanks for listening. Karen

I have not been called back yet. I just started the job when the virus arrived and never even got my foot in the door except for paperwork. I don’t know how I will pay my bills/rent.

@mskimberly Sorry to hear that you’d just started a new job when the virus hit. I know many who are being hit hard by this pandemic. You’re on my prayer list, as are the others here who don’t know how they’re going to make ends meet. I’m sure we all are in somewhat of the same boat. Maybe you’ll be called back soon with any luck. Are you living in a state that’s reopening or has reopened? Sometimes there are extra resources for those who aren’t working.

@averagejoe Thank you for your prayers. I don’t qualify for any of those resources. The school I work for is back in session, but they lost half of the students until the fall. Thus, I will not be called in until then and maybe not even then.

@mskimberly I’m so sorry to hear that! There are many here in the same situation. Even if school does go back into session in person here, it may only be for two days a week, and then they will only need about 1/3 of the teachers they needed before. Have you thought about trying to become an online tutor for those who are going to stay home? I know the government is paying people to do so, though it’s probably not enough for people to meet the bills they need to pay. This pandemic is becoming something of a problem for many people. We’ve seen people losing their homes, their cars, etc., and many have taken their money out of the banks fearing there may be seizures on their capital. I don’t know what to think anymore. It doesn’t look like it’s going to end anytime soon. I truly hope and pray things get better for you and the many others who are suffering.

1 Like

Apply for unemployment, which will pay partial benefits. In Georgia, you can receive benefits as long as you don’t make over $300 a week. Apply for food stamps, and state Medicaid. There are a lot of customer service jobs online. There are also food banks that distribute food. A lot of jobs are not hiring now, based on the pandemic. Unfortunately, a lot of people are out of work, and more are being let go from jobs. Best wishes.

2 Likes

My wife made a good point, too, just a few minutes ago…if there is a logistics company in your area, they are always looking for people to work and usually go through a temp agency. Some pay pretty well. I know that it’s considered an “essential” job, and my wife hasn’t been laid off one time. She’s been with them for nearly 13 years. It’s usually pretty fast-paced work, and the days go quickly. At least it would be some sort of income. I’ve also been told by several friends who work in management at some of the food establishments, fast food and otherwise that they can’t find workers because too many are not coming back when being called back to keep collecting on unemployment and the gov’t subsidies. It’s wrong…but what can you do?

I am looking for online jobs. From what I understand, I don’t qualify for unemployment because of the break between this job and my last one.

@averagejoe posted:

@mskimberly I’m so sorry to hear that! There are many here in the same situation. Even if school does go back into session in person here, it may only be for two days a week, and then they will only need about 1/3 of the teachers they needed before. Have you thought about trying to become an online tutor for those who are going to stay home? I know the government is paying people to do so, though it’s probably not enough for people to meet the bills they need to pay. This pandemic is becoming something of a problem for many people. We’ve seen people losing their homes, their cars, etc., and many have taken their money out of the banks fearing there may be seizures on their capital. I don’t know what to think anymore. It doesn’t look like it’s going to end anytime soon. I truly hope and pray things get better for you and the many others who are suffering.

@Average Joe Thank you for your prayers. I am presently looking for online teaching and tutoring jobs. It is slow, but I am not giving up.

1 Like