UNEMPLOYMENT

hi everyone :relaxed: I’m a bit curious how other people think anybody the unemployment benefits. I feel that the amount of money given is more than what people were earning working . What do you think?

Why would that be a problem? 2020 was rough on many, many people.

1 Like

It’s not fair to judge others’ financial situations. This is supposed to be a supportive community. Are you upset that you did not receive any unemployment benefits? How do you know how much others were making vs receiving unemployment? Please keep in mind that the COVID-19 pandemic caused many financial losses and deaths. ?

2 Likes

i feel that is not the place for this topic

@lori.wulff It has been more than many people earn- at last it is for the people I am in contact with.
I work with people of low income. Last year, the extra $600/wk was significant for many, as the regular UI was only about $130/wk. Right now in NH, it’s an extra $300/wk. It’s been life-changing for many, particularly single parent households that lost their jobs because they had to stay home with children doing remote learning. And they remain out of work still, because of this.
We are in some crazy times. The money is helpful now, and no doubt it will have an impact on the future (taxes/expenses/economy/etc). We shall see.

Please provide evidence from balanced resources which support the assertion of benefit recipients earning less than the amount of the benefits received. It’s challenging to speak to issue without more information from useful resources. Thank you.

Just to clarify , I was asking opinions. I am not saying I am not I’m not favor of unemployment, just concerned. Of coarse I want families and others to be safe financially. I saw on news about thousands of fraudulent cases so that is where my question stemmed from. Have a great safe day all.

1 Like

Just to clarify , I was asking opinions. I am not saying I am not I’m not favor of unemployment, just concerned. Of coarse I want families and others to ube safe financially. I saw on news about thousands of fraudulent w so that is where my question stemmed from. Have a great safe day all.

@lori.wulff, I hear you. The news definitely tends to focus on the negative/fraud/mismanagement. And there is some, for sure! But in my experience, it is far outweighed by the people who use it correctly. Money is an emotional subject, and in today’s environment, one can hardly have an opinion without being criticized for it. I’m happy to have a discussion about what I see firsthand, and what I experience.

1 Like

Really? What a blessing to those folks!

Will Irish nanny your in a Forum called unemployment! And you say you don’t feel that this is a place we need to talk about this topic. Let me ask you a question? What would be the best place to talk about unemployment then on a unemployment forums.? At your mothers kitchen table. ? sounds to me like You are one of the people that are The problem. One of those people that doesn’t want to talk about anything but always bitching about it because it wasn’t talked about!!! Just saying!!! Damned if you do damned if you don’t!!! Just telling it as I see it!! Sorry if I hurt your feeling??

1 Like

I am a benefits eligibility worker for the State of Oregon, and what I’m seeing is that this extra money is lifting some people out of poverty, and this is a wonderful thing, not just for the people it’s helping, but for the economy and even the stock market. And now with the COVID vaccine available, everything is looking up. Unemployment has not kept people from getting new jobs (the unemployment percentage is about six percent right now, down from over twenty percent when the pandemic first hit hard). In my experience, people are not lazy and do not commit fraud; they are getting the help they both need and deserve.

2 Likes