Cooking and Freezing in Bulk

You’ve got to watch Becky at Acre Homestead. This young lady is amazing. I had watched her before, but really got hooked this weekend as she prepared 22 Freezer Meals. And here I thought I was doing good when I make two types of freezer meals on the weekends!

Don’t say I didn’t warn you. You will be hooked. She just posted a couple of hours ago that she’s surprising her husband with a baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cw1_JEW41Q

2 Likes

I did some freeze stocking on a smaller scale this weekend. I made 8 servings of quinoa in the crock pot and then divided it up to freeze. I cooked chili for myself for work–it made 6 servings and half are in my freezer right now. I also have pulled pork in there too. It can really save you time and money.

3 Likes

We do this sporadically. For me organization is key so as to not lose track of what’s in the depths of the freezer. BUT, we just bought a new freezer for our basement yesterday – excited to stock it up with some deliciousness!

4 Likes

I just got a freezer as well, about 2 weeks ago. Made a run to Costco for meat and I am very excited to fill it!

2 Likes

i also do this on the weekend and thank you for sharing

2 Likes

Sounds like it is time to hit the Farmer’s Market. We just froze a case of tomatoes. We are cleaning some squash, as well. We will get to the corn, soon! Nothing like the taste of Summer in the middle of Winter!

1 Like

My boyfriend and I have been trying to do more freezer meals, so I have a question for y’all: What labeling system do you use to keep track of everything?

I have low vision, so it’s hard for me to tell what’s in the containers without opening each one, since all the containers look the same.

Should I get a label maker? My boyfriend suggested using beige painter’s tape and then writing what’s inside with a black Sharpie. Curious to hear how you all keep it organized! ?

@rachel.christian. I just write on the beige painter’s tape like your boyfriend suggested. Sometimes, I will also write directly on the freezer bag though.