Curious: If you had $10k start up cost, What business would you start?

I’m curious, If you lived in a warm climate area and had $10k to start up a business, what would your business be?

3 Likes

Ah yes! If I lived in a warm climate… (Fargo, ND doesn’t match that description laugh)

I have actually done a bit of research into different business ideas in warmer areas (since I constantly consider moving :))

I have found in Florida, it appears there are quite a few Pool Cleaning businesses that seem to do quite well. You can even purchase a fully functional business from people who are selling for various reasons.

Not sure if you could buy one for 10K but I am fairly certain that would be enough initial capital to get one started, so this would probably be something I would personally give a try!

Another business idea that intrigued me was a stroller rental business. This would only work in areas like Orlando or places with lots of attractions that people with young children visit but from what I have seen, you can make some pretty decent income doing this.

And the fact that you invest in a stroller and in a short time make your money back sounds like a really great idea for a business mind like myself looking for an excuse to head down South! cool

3 Likes

Wen Dee posted:

I’m curious, If you lived in a warm climate area and had $10k to start up a business, what would your business be?

I do live in a warm climate @wen.dee in South Africa. And seeing that I have most things in place for my online business, I would put an extra $10,000 toward more Google Ads. Which will be mostly toward my YouTube Channels and Blogs.

1 Like

If anyone’s interested, there are a lot of good franchise businesses that cost about $10k to start up, Chick-fil-a is one and the company is extreeeeemely popular in the South.

7 Likes

@adam this is true! Starting a business can be extremely profitable because in most cases they have done most of the hard work for you and you get to plug in an already profitable system.

Chic-fil-a is a good one. They just recently opened one in my city of Fargo and business has been booming there since day one.

Dunkin Donuts is also another popular one that is growing in recent days! I love getting coffee from Dunkin, unfortunately they do not have one in Fargo yet.

With more popular franchises, you may not be able to get started with 10K, for example, I know Chic-fil-a requires you to have more than that in the bank and not borrowed money in order to be granted a license, however, there may be a smaller franchise that someone could start with only 10K.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone, I love these suggestions.

2 Likes

WEN DEE I know when we lived in Florida we started our
own produce stand. My husband would buy produce from
local farmers. Than compare what he got to the store and
be able to lower the prices than what the store had there
prices at. We had a person drive 14 miles round trip just
for tomatoes and onions. My husband was a good sales
person because some one give him $20 and only buy $15
and the person ask for the change. He would say oh we got
this or that and he end up getting the person to spend the $5.
I’ve so many good memories of my husband and his dad selling
produce.

Another one would to be opening a New York pizza shop.
I don’t no how much it cost but Florida most of the snow
birds are from New York and miss the food from New York.

2 Likes

Bonnie Squires posted:

WEN DEE I know when we lived in Florida we started our
own produce stand. My husband would buy produce from
local farmers. Than compare what he got to the store and
be able to lower the prices than what the store had there
prices at. We had a person drive 14 miles round trip just
for tomatoes and onions. My husband was a good sales
person because some one give him $20 and only buy $15
and the person ask for the change. He would say oh we got
this or that and he end up getting the person to spend the $5.
I’ve so many good memories of my husband and his dad selling
produce.

Another one would to be opening a New York pizza shop.
I don’t no how much it cost but Florida most of the snow
birds are from New York and miss the food from New York.

That’s really great sales skill @bonnie.squires. And great ideas on what to do, well done.

1 Like

Moore Income posted:

Ah yes! If I lived in a warm climate… (Fargo, ND doesn’t match that description laugh)

I have actually done a bit of research into different business ideas in warmer areas (since I constantly consider moving :))

I have found in Florida, it appears there are quite a few Pool Cleaning businesses that seem to do quite well. You can even purchase a fully functional business from people who are selling for various reasons.

Not sure if you could buy one for 10K but I am fairly certain that would be enough initial capital to get one started, so this would probably be something I would personally give a try!

Another business idea that intrigued me was a stroller rental business. This would only work in areas like Orlando or places with lots of attractions that people with young children visit but from what I have seen, you can make some pretty decent income doing this.

And the fact that you invest in a stroller and in a short time make your money back sounds like a really great idea for a business mind like myself looking for an excuse to head down South! cool

Great ideas @moore.income. Would there be a market for pool cleaning services during winter though? Many great ideas in this tread I must say. And there’s me off to the digital world with the $10,000. What can I say I’ve grown rather fond.

1 Like

DEON CHRISTIE Florida and CA there all ways
a need for pool service. Summer or winter.
Nights do get chilly in both places but nothing
like NY or KS. Even where @moore.income lives.

I’ve lived in both places so i know.

1 Like

DEON CHRISTIE thanks my husband and I owned
several business when we was younger. CA we
had our own appliance business we did good at.
We had a list of people waiting for washers or dryers.
They started at $80 and up. I miss those days all ways
had money. Sad thing is we didn’t think about our future
and what if our health wasn’t good. We gave allot of money
to my husband family.

1 Like

Wen Dee posted:

Thanks everyone, I love these suggestions.

Just me to go digital immediately @wen.dee. I agree, really great and lucrative ideas shared here.

1 Like

Bonnie Squires posted:

DEON CHRISTIE Florida and CA there all ways
a need for pool service. Summer or winter.
Nights do get chilly in both places but nothing
like NY or KS. Even where @moore.income lives.

I’ve lived in both places so i know.

It would be a good investment then @bonnie.squires. I’m not quite familiar with the area. I would however die in the NY weather from what I have seen. Snow and Ice is not quite my thing…lol!

1 Like

DEON CHRISTIE i don’t like the snow or ice either.
this was the first winter that got in the minuses
since i been here for 14 years in KS.

1 Like

Bonnie Squires posted:

DEON CHRISTIE i don’t like the snow or ice either.
this was the first winter that got in the minuses
since i been here for 14 years in KS.

I can only imagine @bonnie.squires. Although I do find that temperatures are shifting rater rapidly I must say.

1 Like

@bonnie.squires: I like the Produce idea too, thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, love the replies!

2 Likes

WEN DEE your welcome

you could all so sell at flea markets.

2 Likes

I would open a retail store with $10,000/

2 Likes

Real estate license. To start your own business you would have to have a Broker’s license, but with a Salesman’s license you are still an independent contractor within someone else’s brokerage. It’s a bit more secure for income than some of the “start-ups” I read about. You can make your own hours, but to be successful, like anything, you’ll work your butt off to get up and running.

2 Likes