Emergency fund

I have found the best way to save a little cash is to impose a 10% sales tax on yourself or every time you buy something with cash put your 1dollar bills away. Not spending the ones adds up rather fast

3 Likes

I use Chime bank and it automatically rounds off my purchases and puts that change into my savings plus they give you a 10% bonus on that money each month. Not a lot but adds up. Now Chime is paying 1.3 apr on their savings accounts.

2 Likes

I like the idea of hoarding 1$ bills. That would be a challenge!

2 Likes

Last year I met a lady who does ShopKick and so do I. She was so interesting to talk to and gave some advice on how she saves for the holidays at the end of the year. She gives herself an allowance of X amount that she puts aside every week or month.It gives her enough flexibility at the end of the year, plus her ShopKick gift cards. She gives them as gifts. I have learned to give consumables rather than stuff that grows into clutter. It might offend some people if they know how much you have spent on them, so far no one has balked at going out to eat. If they don’t care for the gift card, they can re-gift it easily.

3 Likes

I save all the change I receive and at the end of the year, I give cash to my grandchildren as an extra gift for Christmas so if they are disappointed in anything they get or if they didn’t get what they had hoped for, they have the cash. One of my daughters let’s her children have half of whatever I give and she puts the other half into a savings account for the child to save for something big. It’s never a lot and they are still little so getting to go to the store and buying something they choose is a real treat for both of us.

5 Likes

We save our change when we break a dollar. At the end of the year we put that in a savings account at our credit union.

3 Likes

Think like a squirrel. Put all the bits and pieces into good places. All grocery shopping, eating out, and gas is paid with cash. So leftover change goes into a jar. This is earmarked for irregular giving. (We plan our yearly giving in December, but sometimes a good cause pops up, or an unexpected occasion.) Leftover gas and eating out dollars go into an envelope towards vacation “blow” money. All extra grocery cash is set aside for the garden expenses or charitable giving as well. All cash back rewards on our credit card goes into “down payment or future retirement housing”. The game is to try to spend as little as possible to allow for the greatest flexibility. Our regular emergency fund is budgeted in, and we try to draw emergency funds from other accounts before touching it.

3 Likes

Olivia, Can you tell more about the cash back rewards on your credit card?