For those Who do not drive, what is the cheapest way to get around?

For those of you who do not drive, what is the cheapest way for you to get where you are going? That may be work, church, shopping or the library. Is it a taxi, Uber, a private driver or some other day?

3 Likes

I do drive, but the way most people (who don’t have a car) get around in the area is by walking or the bus. We are a very walk-able small city. Many others get rides from friends, and a smaller percentage take taxi or utilize our one Uber driver locally.

1 Like

Many folks around here bicycle.

1 Like

@kellyfromkeene I live in a town that is not within walking distance of most places, but I love it here.

1 Like

@Olivia I live at the bottom of a hill. Thus no bike is going to make it up.

When my wife and I moved back to Illinois from MN to try and finish college, our car had it’s transmission wear out. My wife would take the local bus to work, and I would walk up to where she worked. We lived six miles from her place of employment. A man from our church worked on our transmission for free since we were college students, and it took him several months to get it finished since he also had his day job. We were thankful and even offered to pay him. He wouldn’t accept any money from us. I eventually ended up getting a job just a mile past my wife’s place of employment, and so I would ride the bus with her to work and would sit out in the lobby doing my homework until it was time for me to start work. I then would hop the bus and would walk home. We lived in a town of 35,000 people, and it wasn’t really a long jaunt to any place in town, and it helped keep us fit. Seems like the Lord knew what He was doing through all of the things we faced during that time. We were very thankful for everything we went through. It’s helped us to help others to look for ways to get through the “tough times” in their lives.

2 Likes

Carpools are good. Since you probably won’t be driving, you can offer something else in return that person finds of value for themselves and doesnt cost you too much. For instance I wouldn’t mind a home cooked meal for lunch a couple times a week for adding a few minutes to my daily commute. Couple this with public transportation and uber (for the times you cant depend on someone) and you can probably come out cheaper than owning a vehicle. On the days I’m going into the city and dont want to bother with parking, I would take public transit most of the way, then uber for the short distance. This cuts down on ride sharing cost tremendously.

3 Likes

@E Allen I looked in to carpools. The problem with those is that I don’t know where I am going for a job until I get it, and then I need the job immediately…I can do that once I get the job…I like the idea of cooking for payment.

AverageJoe posted:

When my wife and I moved back to Illinois from MN to try and finish college, our car had it’s transmission wear out. My wife would take the local bus to work, and I would walk up to where she worked. We lived six miles from her place of employment. A man from our church worked on our transmission for free since we were college students, and it took him several months to get it finished since he also had his day job. We were thankful and even offered to pay him. He wouldn’t accept any money from us. I eventually ended up getting a job just a mile past my wife’s place of employment, and so I would ride the bus with her to work and would sit out in the lobby doing my homework until it was time for me to start work. I then would hop the bus and would walk home. We lived in a town of 35,000 people, and it wasn’t really a long jaunt to any place in town, and it helped keep us fit. Seems like the Lord knew what He was doing through all of the things we faced during that time. We were very thankful for everything we went through. It’s helped us to help others to look for ways to get through the “tough times” in their lives. tH

1 Like

@averagejoe That is like a story…and a wonderful one at that…We don’t have a bus stop here, but I am working on this. Thank you so much.

Waze Map has a carpool option either as a driver or a rider.

1 Like

I do not have a car because I cannot afford one. Social Security is not that generous! In my town not having a car is a real drawback. The bus service here is less than great. Buses run once an hour and do not go everywhere. BUT I can take my mobility scooter on the buses at least. If I could afford a car, I could afford taxis/uber.

1 Like

Marjie, some of the Uber drivers here give special discounts to people who will use or request one certain person exclusively. It doesn’t always guarantee that the person will be available right at that moment, but if they know what your schedule is, they will work with you. You might want to check on that. There are other options, but they have to be worked out between you and the provider. I’ll be praying you can find the solution that will suit you best.

1 Like

@averagejoe That is very nice. I had no idea that it is cheaper by asking for the same person. Out of all the driving services, which one do you think is most reliable and cheapest?

Marjie posted:

I do not have a car because I cannot afford one. Social Security is not that generous! In my town not having a car is a real drawback. The bus service here is less than great. Buses run once an hour and do not go everywhere. BUT I can take my mobility scooter on the buses at least. If I could afford a car, I could afford taxis/uber.

There is no bus service here…where I live…glad to here you can take your scooter with you.

1 Like

rachlg posted:

Waze Map has a carpool option either as a driver or a rider.

That is a new one for me.

MSKIMBERLY, I have several friends that drive for Uber and work out a discount for people who request them specifically. They are all retiree’s and they take the fares they want. I was surprised when we were told by one of our friends one night at dinner in his home that he had been giving several elderly or handicapped people discounts if the requested him specifically. Others told me the same. It was an uplifting thing to know that some truly worried about these people. It is far less expensive than the local taxi services, of which there are many, and the cars are much more reliable. As far as a “story”…I guess that comes from me being one who writes or attempts to.

1 Like

I use either mass transit(bus or train)or use a Lyft. Another option is, taxi access-a discounted taxi offered to those with a disability(only $3.00 if the ride cost doesn’t go over $20.00, otherwise you pay the difference over $20.00 plus the $3.00). The bus is only $22.00 a month(a reduced fare for disabled persons). And that’s a monthly pass.

3 Likes

Wow! I will have to see if we have Taxi Access here. I have never heard of that. Thank you for this.

Because I am disabled and low income I qualify for a free bus pass. You have to do at least 20 rides. Because of the torrential rains here of late, I need to do 18 more rides this month!!

2 Likes