Giving to Charity

Do you give to any charities?

I am personally trying to improve in the area of giving. My mentor has taught me that if you don’t give even when finances are tight, you won’t be a giver when you are financially free and have a lot of money.

I am just wondering what others perspective is on giving, and especially giving to charitable organizations.

Not every charity is the same in that some of them give a majority of the donations to the actual cause while others take a lot of the money for “administrative” fees while only a small portion goes to the actual cause.

What are some of the criteria you look at when donating to a charitable organization?

Also, if someone comes up to you on the street and asks for money, do you just give it to them?

Nowadays, there seem to be quite a few people just looking for a handout. Do you give to these people or do you try and determine if they are really in need before giving?

(I am not making any judgement calls here, just curious to know how others approach giving in these situations)

3 Likes

I think the world need more kindness @moore.income. But kindness is often exploited and used as opportunity. One need to be extremely cautious indeed. I also believe that random acts of kindness is better than donating. Because you’re quite right, in many cases very little of those donations go to the actual cause.

Rather than just giving someone money, I would prefer buying them some groceries for instance. Some can be very convincing and quite trained at misleading you.

1 Like

MOORE INCOME I give at Christmas time to Salvation army
outside the store. I all so give to angel tree. Than when I
can i’ll give to spreading joy. I all so have helped people out
at store when they are short of money.

I’ve all so given to homeless people on the street.

Last person my family gave to was a war vet and the store
owner in town would even give him water. she called the police
on him. Our son seen it and took the man to a spot where he
would get in trouble with the police. We gave him left overs heated up
coffee,water,blankets,jacket. Made him a hot breakfast and coffee
and this man was so thankful. We never seen him after that.

I remember when i helped a lady in a story she had a really bad cold
and didn’t have enough money for ever thing so i paid for it.

Our children do the same thing to pay for other people in the store.

I all so like to pay other people’s lunch at a fast food place when
you go threw the drive up pay for the person behind you.

All so you can do this at some gas station and pay for coffee for some
one else.

1 Like

I am all for helping others. I have seen charity groups, and individuals not having the proper priorities, and some being outright scammers. I prefer to help in ways that don’t involve giving cash. Making gingerbread houses for homeless children is my thing.

3 Likes

MsKimberly posted:

I am all for helping others. I have seen charity groups, and individuals not having the proper priorities, and some being outright scammers. I prefer to help in ways that don’t involve giving cash. Making gingerbread houses for homeless children is my thing.

I agree @mskimberly. I too prefer not to give cash but rather useful items such as groceries or clothes.

1 Like

MSKIMBERLY I like that idea about giving things to children.

1 Like

Bonnie Squires I do, too. Many times…it has a mushroom effect.

2 Likes

MSKIMBERLY I bet it does. Its one reason I give to spreading joy.
Maria started a non profit when her daughter and son was young
her daughter had health problems at the time. Now her kids are
grown and married. But she had an idea and just went with it.
She started it on twitter with 1 tweet about helping kids with back
pack and supple for school. Than she did it for Christmas and now
it has become a non profit. You should check out her site.
If you google spreading joy Making a Difference One Person At a Time One Day …
you will.

3 Likes

I just looked at it now. That is wonderful. It is important to make a difference in the lives of children.

2 Likes

MSKIMBERLY yes it is and i love that site and Marie
for what she has done for kids and family. She even
has a book out and she put what i said in it.

2 Likes

@mskimberly I think that is a great way to GIVE!

3 Likes

I don’t know if we can post pictures here of such things or not.

2 Likes

@mskimberly you can add images to posts or comments by clicking on “Add Attachements” Just make sure they are related to the post.

Example:

Add Image to Penny Hoarder

3 Likes

Thank you for letting me know.

3 Likes

MOORE INCOME thank you for showing me that

2 Likes

I started a nonprofit that grew from local to national. I lost a baby in 2007 at 17 weeks gestation. He was tiny and fragile, and there were no suitable clothes for him.

Over the next year, my mother worked on making things, but they were too big. I wanted no part of it… but at the same time I wanted it to be right. I consulted pathologists and OB nurses for the design.

Ten years later, this organization is growing exponentially and I allow the Holy Spirit to run it. Totally donation funded and volunteer driven. I have 2 part-time employees who are grant funded, and they have to write grants and earn their own salary! I’m a research scientist by day, and I know next-to-nothing about running a nonprofit… which is why the Holy Spirit does it! www.holysews.org providing a burial layette/kit to hospitals across the country FREE OF CHARGE to families.

We BADLY need corporate sponsorship and new sewing/distribution chapters! We have a Facebook page, Holy Sews, Inc.

3 Likes

@regeniu That is a very worthy charitable cause. I know many mothers who struggle after the loss of a baby and having such a service available is really awesome!

2 Likes

REGENIU$ I’m sorry for your loss. I can
relate a little I’ve had several of my kids
lose children but it was to early to no any
thing about them.

I can all so relate about small babies our
last son was born early. He was a month
early and i had to put him in dolls close
same with his older sister who was born
small.

1 Like

REGENIU$, that is such a compassionate gesture to help others deal with a terrible loss. Hoping you will find sponsors to continue your goals.

2 Likes

A few years ago our immediate family agreed that the adults would not exchange gifts at Christmas but would use the money to make a donation to a charity of each person’s choice. At our family Christmas celebration we each take turns announcing the charity we’ve chosen and tell a bit about the charity. In my case it put me on some research to find local charities where I felt the money was used appropriately and wisely. They were not hard to find.

Where I wish I could help everyone, I’ve decided to concentrate on kids and education. I couldn’t think of anything more important to this world and it’s future than to make sure children have opportunities to learn. I am a consummate reader and when pondering solutions to major issues, it becomes overwhelming, costly and complicated. It makes more sense to me to give young children tools to make the best choices they can and have a strong desire to break away from bad influences and environments they may be stuck with in life. Education is the best answer.

3 Likes