Have you done something for someone who can never repay you?

I think the real reward lies in the joy on someone’s face. Or rather relieve. And a rather familiar feeling if you had once been in a similar situation. I think the world needs more kindness. And in my opinion true kindness does not come with any expectations of gain in any way. When you help someone, do so because you want to. Not because you want to remind them ever so often, or use it as publicity.

In fact I think acts of kindness should be done completely anonymous. But kindness is often mistaken for weakness. Be very careful where you show kindness. We live in a world where kindness is also often exploited as opportunity.

What do you think Penny Hoarders? Has your kindness ever been exploited?

I try to make it a habit to put others needs ahead of my own. As humans, we tend to be selfish so this isn’t something that just comes naturally.

While I agree, that there are those who might exploit our kindness, I believe that if we focus on that and live with that fear, it can really cripple our ability to make the biggest impact.

Yes, we need to be wise, but I also believe that should at least try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I don’t think kindness is a weakness and I don’t think most people view it this way. But you will have some people who will take advantage of your kindness and selfishly become a “leach”.

It is all in the attitude, and these types of people tend to be easy to spot from a mile away!

2 Likes

Moore Income posted:

I try to make it a habit to put others needs ahead of my own. As humans, we tend to be selfish so this isn’t something that just comes naturally.

While I agree, that there are those who might exploit our kindness, I believe that if we focus on that and live with that fear, it can really cripple our ability to make the biggest impact.

Yes, we need to be wise, but I also believe that should at least try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I don’t think kindness is a weakness and I don’t think most people view it this way. But you will have some people who will take advantage of your kindness and selfishly become a “leach”.

It is all in the attitude, and these types of people tend to be easy to spot from a mile away!

Couldn’t agree more @moore.income. Must admit one do develop the skill to tell them apart. But I also agree with your preference to give people the benefit of the doubt. Just a little annoying to ignore that little voice and then end up at the short end of the stick.

But those occasions are just another lesson learnt. And shouldn’t change our nature to help and show kindness.

I will NEVER forget getting cash in the mail. I was newly divorced working 2 jobs to support my 2 kids. It was actually around Easter time. I was able to buy my kids new swimsuits and some candy. Still to this day have no idea who sent it.

I try and pay it forward as much as I can anonymously. This post brought up some good memories.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! @tracee

1 Like

Tracee posted:

I will NEVER forget getting cash in the mail. I was newly divorced working 2 jobs to support my 2 kids. It was actually around Easter time. I was able to buy my kids new swimsuits and some candy. Still to this day have no idea who sent it.

I try and pay it forward as much as I can anonymously. This post brought up some good memories.

There are still good people out there @tracee. That is pretty amazing. And also how I believe we should help people, completely anonymous. People don’t need to know everything right?

1 Like

Moore Income posted:

That’s awesome! @tracee

Indeed @moore.income. Tiny acts of kindness give us hope. The world needs more of that.

1 Like

I’m a Mennonite, so that’s basically my religion. I firmly believe a person’s character is shown by how they treat people who can do nothing for them. To me, service to others is closely connected with the meaning of life. I always find great joy in helping others, especially when they can’t pay me back.