Head of household

Hey all!

I have tried to find the appropriate answer on various google sites, but they all seem a little gray, so I turned to this forum hoping someone is great with taxes!

For the past few years, my disabled mom has had no income and has lived with me. I have claimed Head of household with her as my dependent.

In 2018, I got married in August. He lived with his parents for the year, my mom still lived with me, and I still supported her financially for 2018. One site said I would still qualify for head of household, however, another said because she is a non child dependent, I can not claim head of house but can still just claim her with the other dependent credit of $500.00.

Anyone have experience with this situation? I just want to make sure I am claiming properly, I obviously would love to claim head of household again if possible, but I certainly don’t want to do it incorrectly and end up owning that extra back at some point. Thanks in advance for any insight!

IsisLee posted:

Hey all!

I have tried to find the appropriate answer on various google sites, but they all seem a little gray, so I turned to this forum hoping someone is great with taxes!

For the past few years, my disabled mom has had no income and has lived with me. I have claimed Head of household with her as my dependent.

In 2018, I got married in August. He lived with his parents for the year, my mom still lived with me, and I still supported her financially for 2018. One site said I would still qualify for head of household, however, another said because she is a non child dependent, I can not claim head of house but can still just claim her with the other dependent credit of $500.00.

Anyone have experience with this situation? I just want to make sure I am claiming properly, I obviously would love to claim head of household again if possible, but I certainly don’t want to do it incorrectly and end up owning that extra back at some point. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Wanted to ping @lisa.eichinger here – she may be of help!

1 Like

You would file married. Either married file separately because he did not live with you or married filed jointly. You can take your mom as “other dependent”, but you can’t claim head of household anymore because you are legally married.

Does that help?

2 Likes

I know this year things have changed, and you only rec a 500 credit for an adult dependent, not a whole deduction. I am not sure if there is another way around this, but I suspect that if they file for their self and have insurance they might get a better refund, next year when Obama care penalty is retracted this will change again.

1 Like