Low income high debt

I had to leave my job suddenly for personal reasons which left me unable to make payments for 6 months until I found a new job. The new job pays less and I’m barely about to make payments on one card/loan. How do I handle this?

1 Like

First thing I would do, and one of the hardest things to do, is to call the bank and explain the situation. Communicate with them. Its been 6 months, so it will likely not be a fun conversation, however, it needs to be done. You may have done this already, but if not, consider reaching out. Make a payment plan- pay something. It doesn’t sound like it’s gone to collections yet, so that’s great. And congratulations on the new job! I know it pays less, but I’m happy for you that you found something after 6 months! And now it should be easier to find a better job if you continue to look.

2 Likes

That sounds like a great idea to start with. Take a look at how much you spend on food or other necessary items. See where you can cut back. That money may seem like not very much, but it is something.

1 Like

What do I do if the cards are already charged off?

1 Like

You mean you cannot spend anymore on them?

Yes

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever been in that position. I don’t use credit cards unless I have to for medical issues.