Newest member

Avid reader of The Penny Hoarder. My first side income was teaching a group of kids Creative Writing, Geography, and Math; using nothing more than baseball cards as my tools. A baseball card has the players origin of birth (Geography) small bio, (Creative Writing) and Averages (Math). I started in my basement offering the class free to the kids, the Park District heard about it and offered to pay me to teach it at their facility. We had a banquet at the end of the year and invited the Traveling Secretary of the Chicago White Sox to be our Guest Speaker.

1 Like

So did they write creative letters to the Secretary of Chicago White Sox’s

1 Like

As I recall, they did. At the banquet we had a Q & A exchange and surprisingly, or maybe not so surprising the parents of the kids had many more questions then the kids themselves. Other community members got involved as well providing tickets to a Sox/Yankee game and donating more baseball card books. The students all received Certificate of Achievement Awards This was all done with just the thought of an idea and follow through and an amazing thing was born.

1 Like

Awesome

2 Likes

First of all, great post! The World needs more teachers like you!!! Second of all LOVE Recreation & Park Departments! If we didn’t have these Departments throughout the Country how awful our outdoor (and for that matter indoor) recreation experiences would be! I just read an article about how important it is to our health that we REcreate! xtree

2 Likes

I am new enjoying reading interesting posts which talks about recreation