Self Employed Medical Insurance

Hello everyone, I am a stay at home mom and my husband is a self employed I was wondering where do you go to look for a Medical insurance for self employed? Any information will be very helpful and will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

My first thought is Obamacare. I’ve been on it, and it isn’t great, but it covers the basics. Here’s the link to sign up: Obamacare.

You may also want to check out Christian Health Insurance options. I’m not assuming you are Christian, but it’s an option: Christian Healthcare Ministries.

I know where I live there is also a Blue Cross Blue Shield store where you can inquire about health insurance, so there may be one near you. Here’s their link: Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Good luck.

2 Likes

We also do the Marketplace as we do not qualify for commercial plans since we’re a husband/wife team. But this past year our obamacare silver plan was 394.00 a month no deductible and all our meds are covered. So not too bad.

2 Likes

If your husband is self-employed within a profession that has a large presence within your state or nationally, you can contact any local, state, national organizations that represent that specialty.

For example, I’m a retired real estate broker, but when I was active the National Association of Realtors and the state association promoted insurance companies that would offers discounts to members of those associations. The insurance companies offer groups rates to many organizations, much like if you were employed by a large company.

2 Likes

Hi, Ana! I was a self-employed too, and I was able to purchase an individual medical insurance by finding a health insurance agent/broker around your area. They can help you and set you up very quickly!

1 Like

Hi, Ana! I was a self-employed too, and I was able to purchase a health insurance by finding a health insurance agent/broker around your area! They can set you up very quickly!:)

1 Like

Ana,

Several years ago my wife and I were faced with an insurance premium over $1000/mo. (may have been $1200) and it wasn’t going to work for us. We looked at Christian Healthcare Ministries and the amount was $300/mo. with a small quarterly contribution. A family rate would have been more but so would regular insurance. There were three levels to choose from and we were at the highest level of coverage. It is not regular insurance and you will have to pay for some regular office visits but it saved us at the time. There are a variety of health sharing organizations so you could check out any number if you are so interested. If you have any ongoing health issues like diabetes, cancer, heart conditions, etc. you may not be able to get in but once you are there I believe you are taken care of. Good question to ask though. Overall our experience was good. Good luck.

2 Likes

If either one of you is a veteran you can join the American Legion and get healthcare through them, but I don’t know much about it. They define a veteran as anyone who has spent at least one day on active duty.

Ana24 posted:

Hello everyone, I am a stay at home mom and my husband is a self employed I was wondering where do you go to look for a Medical insurance for self employed? Any information will be very helpful and will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi @ana24,

We actually have an article on just that. Freelancers/gig workers/self employed workers can get health insurance through:

• The health insurance marketplace
  • Certain health insurance companies (like Cigna and UHC have self-employed options)
  • Health insurance brokers
  • Some faith-based organizations cost share for their congregations
  • Some gig-work companies provide health care to workers.
  • Advocacy groups & unions like Freelancers Union provide health care (and portable 401(k) plans) to independent workers.

You can read more about these six options here: https://www.thepennyhoarder.co…e-for-self-employed/

Hope this helps!

Adam Hardy is staff writer at The Penny Hoarder. He specializes in unique ways to make money and work-from-home job opportunities. Say hi on Twitter @hardyjournalism or view his articles on the website. If you have any tips or story ideas, feel free to send him a private message on the forum.

1 Like

When I have been self-employed, I have never used the Marketplace options because I could get coverage more reasonably priced through a regular independent agent who offered plans from several providers. I like using local, independent agents as they usually work harder to find the right mix of coverage for me.

1 Like

We get our health insurance through the health insurance marketplace set up under the Affordable Care Act. It’s relatively inexpensive. You have to know what you’re looking for though, do you want a cheaper premium and accept more out of pocket costs, or vice versa. I look at whether or not the companies offered have my doctors on their plan. That’s the trickiest part so far. Also, check with your doctor to see if they take that plan. It changes all the time! Hope this was helpful!

1 Like

Hello Ana24

I would suggest Medishare or Christian Healthcare Ministries. These provide coverage the same way an insurance provider does, and qualify as insurance for those who need proof of coverage. They are much more affordable and they offer community support as well. Definitely worth trying!

1 Like