Si, Si Senior ((50+))

It wasn’t that long ago that AARP began stalking me. At fifty years of age, I wasn’t quite ready to think about aging or retirement. I figured that I had another fifteen or more years to become debt-free and save for supplemental retirement income. That’s plenty of time, right???

About three years ago I became disabled from work, still not having done anything to tackle that debt nor save for retirement so it was a definite reality check as my household income plummeted by more than half, overnight.

There are some amazing books out there that I highly recommend whether the information is for you or family members in or approaching retirement that can help uncover information that can make the impact of reduced income less painful. NOW is the time to learn as much as possible, although it is important to note that information changes frequently from dated books such as those pictured from my personal collection.

Did you know that when working people do not elect Medicare when eligible (age 65) that they are penalized with higher premium payments when they do leave the workplace? Yeah, we didn’t either.

Social Security is not allowing us to be very social and there’s not a whole lot of security either!

NOW is the time to put aside time and money to invest both resources as wisely as possible. Looking for tips and tricks? Please enter your questions and contributions in the comment section below.

1 Like

Wow! “Social Security is not allowing us to be very social and there’s not a whole lot of security either!” May I share this as a quote with attribution?

2 Likes

Deven posted:

Wow! “Social Security is not allowing us to be very social and there’s not a whole lot of security either!” May I share this as a quote with attribution?

I hereby authorize Deven to use the above mentioned quote.

Having been disabled for nearly 20 years, I started my Medicare in 2002. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. Some I knew refused to do so and now they regret it. I’m considering a medigap policy to pay what my wife’s employer and medicare don’t pay. Don’t know how that would work, though. I’ve been told it would. Having a tertiary policy is not unheard of.

Not near retirement yet, but the thought scares me as I have met with financial advisors, I do not fathom how I can possibly stash away enough money for retirement…always good to start early!