Survivors benefits

My husband passes away in a tragic accidental. What am i entiled too

1 Like

Half of his Social Security benefits if his benefits are higher than your own.


Only when you turn 60 or are disabled can you receive his benefits

@jennifer.velez I’m so sorry for your loss. You can actually receive 100% of his full benefit if you wait until full retirement age, which is 67 if you were born in 1960 or later. You can also claim beginning at 60, but it will be for a reduced amount, or 50 if you’re disabled. The rules are different if you’re caring for a child of your late husband who’s under 18 or disabled. In that case, you’ll probably be eligible for 75% of your husband’s benefit.

The rules here can be very complex. I’d recommend contacting your local Social Security office, and they can tell you what you’d qualify for based on your husband’s record. Offices are still operating remotely due to COVID, but you should be able to get hold of them by phone. Call 1-800-772-1213 between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Here is Social Security’s guide to survivor benefits:

1 Like

My condolences on your husband’s passing. In addition to checking on survivor benefits, I would check all life insurance policies including any that have lapsed as they might still have some cash value and accidental death benefits from credit unions, etc. They typically carry a small free policy for all members.