Claiming Social Security

My spouse passed away a few years ago and never drew social security. I turned 60 in 2020 and I signed up for survivors benefits to start drawing on his social security in order to pay off my mortgage before my retirement. I work a full time job and will continue to work until my retirement age. My question is once I retire will my monthly amount raise due to my continued contribution to social security? I’m sure mine would be higher than his by the time I’m ready to retire. I’ve already been informed that due to my job I may only get three months of checks towards the end of the year. Thanks!

Good morning @peej. Yes, you’re allowed to switch from your survivor benefit to your own higher benefit later on. The rules are very confusing, but you’d eventually get a higher benefit when you reach full retirement age because you’ll get credit for the money that was withheld because of your earnings.

Because the rules are complicated. you might want to talk to a Social Security representative to get all the details. I believe offices are still closed to the public due to covid, but you can call your local office and talk to a representative.

Thank you for the reply. I’ve tried to reach out to them unsuccessfully, I will continue to try to reach them but you’ve helped answer my questions.