Watts Zappening? (Saving Money On Energy Costs)

Did you know that the average cable or satellite TV box with DVR costs around $8 a month to have on 24/7? Did you know that some makes and models of these boxes use more or less than others? Did you know that many states have deregulated energy costs, allowing consumers to shop for lower per kilowatt hour rates? Did you know that there are simple swaps we can all make to reduce our usage? That’s as true with electric as water as natural gas… and some swaps to habits can add up to huge savings on our budgets when they are combined.

There are countless articles that come up when you Google “ways to save on energy costs.” You’ll find awesome books out there and from your local library, including my favorite “Shift Your Habit” by Elizabeth Rogers.

Even if your state is not part of this price search tool, a Google search for your State may still alert you if your area can choose billing suppliers. This tool has shown me a difference of around $18.50 a month in savings and even more by shifting my habits with vehicle gasoline costs, water and electric usage and behaviors…

What about YOU?

www.chooseenergy.com

1 Like

“Shift Your Habit” by Elizabeth Rogers is part of my keeper collection of books. Although an older title, much of the information is as pertinent today as the day it was published…

Are you leaving your computers and appliances on or plugged in 24/7 even when you are away from home and/or sleeping? Why not get in the habit of unplugging rarely used items like toasters, computer printers and even unnecessary cordless phone handsets? What if you start to use the power saving features on your computers and turn off those surge protectors for the sixteen or more hours each day when not used and even more when not used daily? How often do you make toast? Why not make a toast to your monthly savings instead?

2 Likes

I found this Vampire Calculator from Duke Energy that I want to share … This cool tool says it best, "

Slay Your Energy Vampires

The average U.S household spends $100 a year on plugged-in electronics they aren’t using. Spooky, right? Tell us what you’ve got, and we’ll show you how much you could save by pulling the plug."

https://www.duke-energy.com/en…e0XbV6nyD9RLAzKXuYj4

This is so cool and easy to use! I thought you were joking but it really is called the Energy Vampire Calculator. ghost

2 Likes

We’ve installed several smart plugs since joining OhmConnect and now reduce a large portion of our passive power usage

Note: I have communicated with people who have had energy audits (free) from their electric suppliers and who have been given some cool freebies… smart bulbs, surge protectors and even one who was given a free replacement Nest Thermostat. Everyone’s mileage may vary but it does not hurt to ask for the free audits just for the professional testing and advice on ways to conserve energy and money.

Yes years ago my neighbor did that and she was given a Free refrigerator

i unplug the toaster and any other small thing that the
kids have plugged in. Changed lite bulbs to. Even the
newer computer have a energy mode on them now

Check with your utility to see if they offer rebates for upgrading to energy efficient appliances and/or LED light bulbs. Some utilities give them away for free. Some will even give you power strips that have a “sleep” mode if you forget to turn them off. They want to get load offline, so they are happy to help you reduce your KWH usage.

thank you

Thanks for all the info. It is something I guess I don’t pay as much attention to as I should. I will have to take a closer look at my energy consumption now and see how I can save more energy.

Men On A Budget posted:

Are you leaving your computers and appliances on or plugged in 24/7 even when you are away from home and/or sleeping? Why not get in the habit of unplugging rarely used items like toasters, computer printers and even unnecessary cordless phone handsets? What if you start to use the power saving features on your computers and turn off those surge protectors for the sixteen or more hours each day when not used and even more when not used daily? How often do you make toast? Why not make a toast to your monthly savings instead?

We were shocked to find a small electric fireplace was costing us $200 a month. We no longer use it!