What are your secret tips and tricks to save a bit extra?

Finding ways to save money isn’t always intuitive, so I’m curious about everyone’s tips and tricks to save a bit of extra cash. Share your secrets to better financial health, and post a few tips and tricks that you’ve discovered that others may have not stumbled upon. I want to know how you’ve been making life just a bit easier.

To start, I’ll say that one of my tips and tricks is to subscribe to GrubHub+ if you are someone who orders out a lot. You get free delivery and the cost is only $10/mo. The best part is that as a member, you get a $10 credit to spend on any pick-up orders, so bam, the subscription is basically free and you save on fees.

And no, this post is not sponsored by GrubHub… I just eat out way too much, so this tip helped save me a ton of money. ?

8 Likes

I stopped going to stores for recreation- like to kill time or ‘just look around’. Got off all email sales lists; when I go out to eat I only get the main course- no apps/deserts/drinks; and for me, using cash = spending less on variable expenses.

Even though I live in a tiny place, my next plan is to get a small chest freezer and buy meat in bulk. After pricing it out at a wholesale club, it really will make a difference.

9 Likes

@kellyfromkeene - not going to look around at TJ Maxx would definitely save me money. It’s hard though, as it’s right next door to one of the grocery stores I use. Maybe someday!

6 Likes

I’ve used GrubHub+ in a similar way, but have gravitated to DoorDash lately. Free “DashPass” delivery through my Chase credit card account plus it’s pretty easy to get 20% off of most orders through group ordering. Yeah, and I also eat out way too much!

4 Likes

@kellyfromkeene @lismox I don’t know if I can cut down on my visits to HomeGoods and HomeSense. ?

3 Likes

i like going into the stores to shop so i always look for sales and lower prices

4 Likes

So many things one can do, it just depends on what works for you personally. Factors such as cost of living in your area, your work situation, and responsibilities can make challenges or opportunities.

For a long commute on the highway - I use cruise control plus a free gas rewards program saving me .05 each gallon.

For groceries - I coupon (electronically and paper). I meal plan the entire week. I pick simple meals with affordable ingredients. I avoid overpriced out of season items (produce and fruits, etc.). I review ads for sales I might want to take advantage of.

At home - I turn off light which aren’t necessary. I unplug things that don’t need to be plugged in. I have drapes and use them to block high heat in the summer and keep me warmer in the winter. I use a speed cycle on my washing machine. I pack lunches for work.

Good luck!

5 Likes

Great idea, @kellyfromkeene.That’s one of the things I also want this year: a small chest freezer for the garage to store extra sales. I use the grocery flyers (I get email notices) that come out on Wednesdays. I’m usually looking for special sales, and I know when certain things will go on sale for the month. For example, I know that the third week of the month, I can usually get roasts on sale (hence, why I’d like a freezer). If you become familiar enough with your stores’ rotations, you can time those purchases.

Also, because I’m always thinking of hurricane season, I buy canned and dry goods on sale year-round, a can or two each time. If I haven’t used them up by a certain time, then I donate them. Then, I just keep repeating. After the winter storm here in Texas in 2021, I decided that it’s always “hurricane” season. I compost all my food scraps (coffee grounds, tea, eggshells, etc.), which my ligustrum shrubs love.

Don’t get me started on browsing/shopping for entertainment. I really miss Home Goods, TJ Maxx, and Tuesday Morning (although I have hit TM a few times). Not going to these stores regularly helps with savings.

Utilities: I’m up late at night, so I started leaving off my exterior lights until I actually go to bed. I’ve stopped leaving the lights on in the closets in the extra bedrooms. I know, sounds crazy, but I’ve always left them on because I like to see a bit of light when I pass by or enter. In fact, lighting is a pain point. I like at least four lighting sources in any room and even more in the living areas, so I’ve been an electricity hog. Now, I just keep the room I’m in lit up (just two lights, arrgh). That savings shows up in my bill, as the provider sends me weekly notices of what I used the previous week and the current week. My dryer is gas so it’s not so bad, but I dry small washables on a wooden folding hanger I almost forgot I had. I turn the water off to brush my teeth and try not to let it run unnecessarily in the kitchen.

I’ve eliminated eating out completely since COVID, but will occasionally get takeout, and I still hit fast food places but mostly cook at home in bulk and freeze the leftovers. Really, the biggest expenses are your food and housing. Well, gasoline now.

4 Likes

For lighting, switch everything or at least the most used lighting to LED if you haven’t already and stress much less. They use almost no electricity. You can light a 60W LED bulb for 12hrs a day for less than $10/yr, if you only do avg. use of 3-4 hrs it will be $2/yr

2 Likes

Setting up a savings account that automatically withdraws from my bank account (on pay day!)

1 Like

I am in the process of remodeling my retirement home, in Florida. I have not made the move from Maryland, yet. To keep down expenses, I am installing motion activated security lights in the bathrooms and by each door. They ae L.E.D. and run off 3 “D” cells. In the bathrooms , I am installing one over the door and a second one over the sink. It will save me from turning on the lights on my dozen trips to the bathroom each night. Also, good for power failures and if it comes on and it’s not me, it will make it easier to hit my target. The lights only cost about $10 each and attach with two sheet metal screws. I will be using them in my shed and closets, as well. It is good to have them on when I am gone. I pull the main breaker when I return to Maryland and I am gone about six months at a time. The rest of the house is being fitted with all L.E.D lights. I have a chest freezer on order and plan on planting a garden and a small orchard. We are going to get hens and a couple of goats when we make our big move. I am building a gas powered bike from a kit (Bikeberry). They get about 125 miles P/G. It will be fun to run back and forth to the store for milk, bread . etc.

1 Like

Gosh, I had to go all the way back to April 2022…a year…to find a good chat on money saving tips. So bringing it up again, it’s so darn expensive for everything right now, I need some reinforcement from the troops here.

We had to make a big ticket item purchase earlier this week, and for whatever reason I was thinking sales tax when I was estimating our costs. It’s a little sobering to learn how much sales tax we pay on those big ticket items!! We live 1/2 between 2 metro areas, but each is in a different county. One county’s sales tax (inc state and city) is 0.05 percent less than the other. Our purchase was from a chain store located in each city almost equal distances from our home; we saved $40 in total sales tax by making the purchase in THAT county. If you are fortunate to have a choice, think about researching it!