Who taught you your most important money lesson and what was it?

Growing up, I didn’t necessarily have one specific person I leaned on for financial advice. But I spent a lot of time watching how my own parents struggled, which taught me that I didn’t want to do the same. Now, I actively pay attention to what I can and can’t afford and how to set myself (and my future family) up for more financial success. What’s one money lesson you’ve taken with you?

4 Likes

Pay yourself first. This I learned from many books and successful people. It is a principal that truly works when you start applying it. There is a lot that could be said about it but the best book I have read on the subject would have to be The Richest Man in Babylon. You can find it on Amazon but if you want to save some money and get more books for less, I recommended Thrift Books.

If we tithe to a local church, how do we pay ourselves first? Should we come directly AFTER the church, and then bills, food etc? Just curious on your take on it.

AverageJoe posted:

If we tithe to a local church, how do we pay ourselves first? Should we come directly AFTER the church, and then bills, food etc? Just curious on your take on it.

Good question. I personally view tithing as giving back a portion to God in thankfulness for what He has given me. Therefore I would apply the principle of paying myself first after tithe. For those of us who do this, it means we have to learn to live off of only 80% of what we earn instead of 90% but I think it is a good way to learn to live below our means. And if you practice the principle of tithing first, you can trust God’s promises in His Word to take care of those who holds Him in tithing!

3 Likes

Pay yourself 1st then pay your bills and tithing. Is not ego it’s economics. If you get sick because you’re not eating could you can afford food but you going to church every week who are you helping? Let go of ego and pay yourself 1st. Then get back to others. Make sure the church that you are giving to does not squander your money on wines and fine china like my church did.

Briana posted:

Growing up, I didn’t necessarily have one specific person I leaned on for financial advice. But I spent a lot of time watching how my own parents struggled, which taught me that I didn’t want to do the same. Now, I actively pay attention to what I can and can’t afford and how to set myself (and my future family) up for more financial success. What’s one money lesson you’ve taken with you?

My mother. She always said make a trash small. Save your pennies, pick up a penny. Water down everything to make more including soup, spaghetti sauces, gravies. We made and popcorn and VHS tapes to entertain ourselves.

Always pay yourself 1st period try saving $50 a week by the end of the month you’ve got $200. If not weekly try bi-weekly.

Don’t throw out old clothes just cut them up and make a blanket or throw.

Being thrifty doesn’t mean being cheap. Because you always end up with more money in the end.

1 Like

Sewspcl posted:

Is not ego it’s economics.

@SEWSPCL Interested in understanding why you consider it “ego”?

“Pennies add up to dimes, and dimes add up to dollars.” My across-the-street neighbor when I was 4.

I cant think of a particular person- but I can think of things I learned from several people. My parents taught me that tithing is important, although I have not always done that. My ex taught me that I don’t need a lot of things to be happy- after I lost it all in a divorce. My boyfriend taught me how important it is to save and plan for the future. My kids taught me that people are the most important thing and that everything else is a distant second.

I would say my parents but by doing what they didn’t do. I prefer not to spend my money, I am always looking for ways I can obtain things I need for free. The only financial footstep I followed was buying a new car and having that debt, which I wish I had never done. I should have bought a used car and had it paid off.

To pay myself first is the good idea for example if may salary is less do I have to pay half of my salary to make my tithe and I would be left with nothing to pay my bills and my children remain without food in the house.If I pay what I can afford is it a problem

Once I get my tax return I putting a good amount of
money in the bank. Once I get a bill from my old place
paid off than that will go into the bank account it wont
be much only $10 a week but that an extra $40 a month
in the bank.