Zero Based Budgeting

Let me get my morning dissertation out of the way because I have big plans for today. I do have to remember its National Fried Chicken Day and I have to fit that in later as well but I better not wait to long.
Zero Based Budgeting: The term seemed frightening at best especially since In the letter I had sent out that I only had the ‘Rudimentary skills of a bookkeeper’ And even that course I learned in prison some 13 years ago. I also mentioned in the letter that I had just gotten out of prison and that I had accepted Christ and was turning my life around. Not particularly the kind of letter that you think will pass muster through the Human Resources Channel. So I didn’t send it to them. If it was going to get rejected let the Big Man reject it. So I sent it to the CEO’s and President’s of the companies.
I can’t take credit for the results though that was strictly by my belief that God was orchestrating my steps and I was just following along. Leo Burnett Advertising, one of the largest Ad Agencies in the country called me one day and hired me over the phone sight unseen. Oh my goodness, but the job was destined to last only 6 months because Mary was going to have our first child and we couldn’t make it on what I was making at Leo Burnett. I admit I did not look forward to getting back out there and looking for another job, even if I had to quit Leo Burnett to do it, which I wasn’t. The phone rang and after talking with the Resource Director who said she had had my letter on her desk for 6 months and didn’t know what to do with it, I knew, I just knew God’s leading was in this because I just wasn’t that smart enough to manipulate all this. There I was talking about not just Zero Base Budgeting but setting up an accounting system that would charge back all the departments for their publishing costs of the literature they produced through our department and implementing it as well. The President of the company had demanded it. I am glad I did not suffer from panic attacks as I do now because I could not have pulled it off. I left the interview and immediately went to the Library to read up on just what Zero Based Budgeting was all about. A fancy phrased coined by Texas instruments that essentially said, you don’t spend what you don’t have. It was the opposite of deficit spending. Thank you for reading this far because its not that exciting, but at that time I had been only married a year and a half, our first child was on its way and I really wanted to support our fledgling family so it was no small deal that I went to work for Northwestern University and designed and implemented the charge back system they were looking for. The End

1 Like

I Luved ur post! Good Job!

1 Like