7 Tips To Landing The Job You Love: A Framework For Unsatisfied Employees

When it comes to our jobs, there’s a scale of two extremes. Either you love your job, or you simply can’t stomach the idea of having to do it until you reach retirement.

And it’s a common trait among many workers these days, as the pandemic-induced labor market has given life to all new sorts of work-related trends, from The Great Resignation to Quit Quitting. Across the spectrum, workers have been leaving their jobs in droves in hopes of finding something more meaningful.

Aside from workplace trends that have people packing up their desks and quitting, in general, people are found to be unsatisfied with their jobs and the work they have. A Gallup study on the State of the Global Workforce 2022 Report found that a staggering 60% of surveyed workers reported being emotionally detached at work, with 19% reporting being miserable.

On the somewhat bright side, only 33% reported feeling engaged, but these figures are even lower than that reported for 2020.

In a different study, it was found that roughly 50%, probably even more of the U.S. workforce, are currently “quiet quitters,” a workplace trend that recently went up in flames after going viral on social media. The trend describes employees as doing the bare minimum, often “acting their wage” instead of formally resigning or quitting.

Whether it’s stress, anxiety, or even feeling completely disengaged due to a lack of culture, community and contribution acknowledgment - it’s time to find the job you love.

We compiled a short list of seven tips you can follow to help you find the job you’ve always loved and wanted.

Get to know yourself and what you value

When you start looking for a new job or perhaps recently entered the job market, the best way to get the job you love is to make sure you understand yourself and know what you value in terms of a career.

Find what motivates you, or look for the things that excite you when you start talking about your job. Think of what makes you happy when you have to explain to others what you’re passionate about or what you enjoy in your job.

Once you have a clear view of what it is you enjoy most about yourself and what you value in your personal and professional career, you can start to build a road map toward the perfect job.

Evaluate your current job

Take the time to evaluate the role you currently fill and see where there is room for improvement. Before you simply leave the office unhappy or hand in your resignation, it’s good to evaluate your position and communicate any shortcomings with your employer, a colleague, or a close friend.

If you notice there are some parts of your job that lack excitement, see how you can improve on this. If your job feels draining or like it’s holding you back, consider taking a different pathway altogether to help you discover what you need in terms of a job.

Talk to other professionals

The best way to make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into is to talk to someone who’s already working in the field or who’s worked in the same job before.

If you can’t find someone close, then look to join a community group or online forum where they discuss all the good and bad parts of the job. Don’t simply make your decision based on these comments, as these tend to be biased towards employers and work experience, but don’t ignore what people are saying altogether.

Upskill yourself

Learn new skills, but don’t overwhelm yourself. Often the job we want or love requires us to learn new skills or even take a few extra classes that will help connect us with the right people and employers.

If you’re in a field or industry where you can build yourself up or climb the ladder, the work becomes a lot easier, and the opportunities present themself more freely.

Research potential employers

As a starter, you should research the companies and organizations you think would offer these jobs and get to know how they work and function. On top of that, consider the workplace culture and environment and also look at what current and previous employees are saying about working at the company.

The better you get to know the company and the industry, the easier it will be for you to find something you love and enjoy.

Align yourself with current job openings

Keep in mind that no two jobs are the same, nor are the people who fill those jobs, so try not to compare yourself too much to the position.

Consider what the job description may be, the requirements, or the level of education. Do you have enough experience or industry know-how to help you land the job? There are many things to consider, but once you align yourself with the job you love and so badly want, you start to notice where there might be room for improvement and where you can better yourself.

Have realistic goals

It’s good to be realistic about the process, as this will help to keep you grounded and focused on the progress which you have already made.

Being realistic means that you are being honest about yourself and who you are, but more importantly, the type of employee you look to be in the workplace.

Final Thoughts

Be open to thinking of the job you love differently, and speak to others about it. Take the time to be true and honest with yourself about your possibilities and seek out new opportunities in unconventional ways.

Finally, be realistic, but don’t be hard on yourself; remember that it’s just a job, and if it doesn’t go as planned, then you can always change the course of your direction. Perhaps the most important of all is to make sure you’re true to yourself and have a full understanding of what you value in life and your job.

3 Likes

I hope this helps cuz I’m really looking for an employment

1 Like

thank you for sharing

I have been out of the job market for a while and self-employed but I am currently in the process of pursuing a job that I really would like to try out.

My mentor always says “work to learn, not to earn” so while I have the knowledge of how to make money on my own, I feel like this job could be a valuable experience and could lead to other jobs I would really like to try.

Thanks for all the tips you shared. A lot of people don’t put enough thought into the employment they choose, then they just end up in a job they hate but feeling stuck because they need that job to survive.