Abusive Landlords

I would like information on how to go about help in obtaining information on management abusing tenants in financing ( Increasing in common area utilities) for their own convenience). Tennants on a limited income and there is no explanation as to why the increase has taken place in the first place, not even written in the lease that an increase in “common area utilities” would take place, I believe this is abusive and would like help or information on where I could get some answers, because when I question the management, no one in management will contact me regarding this concern.

1 Like

I’d start by doing some research on how to report abusive landlords in your state. Also consider talking to a lawyer if you think you have a serious case.

While I’ve had plenty of terrible landlords over the years, I’ve had little luck getting them to treat me or other tenants fairly.

• That one time a giant sheet of plaster fell from the ceiling onto my bed (what if I had been sleeping there?) – it took weeks to get it fixed and only got a $100 discount.
  • Building I lived in changed owners. They immediately raised rent, pretty much forcing me and my roommate to move out. We cleaned that place top to bottom and they still found a way to take our entire deposit (still mad about it nearly 20 years later, lol)
  • Living in a brand new building with efficient everything, we were somehow still charged nearly $200 a month for electricity in our tiny apartment. Like in Sharon C’s case, they were charging all tenants for the common area utilities. We ended up breaking our lease early, and that cost us thousands, even though it was the start of Covid…
3 Likes

Thank you Will S, I thought I was the only one going through this. I wanted to move out, but since my son and I live together, I didn’t want the “New Management” coming after him because of me, but now as I have informed my son, at this point, I don’t care because it’s obvious the management don’t care, so I am ready to go to court, I have to start looking again for another place, and I need to start now because it took me eight months to find a place before, but I am ready to leave now. And hopefully, I’ll have a good case.

2 Likes

@Sharon C, Much success with however you choose to deal with your landlord!

It’s really sad when New management comes in and takes advantage of tenants, I feel so violated to the point it’s making me sick (Literally)

Legal Aid in your state may offer assistance with LL/tenant disputes. I would contact them to start. Unfortunately, bad LL often get away with it- they know they hold the cards. Do not stop paying rent until they fix/do what you need- this will backfire on you if the LL takes you to court for eviction. If you are receiving section 8 housing assistance, they can help hold the LL to certain standards, or they will not pay subsidy. But if the LL is breaking the lease by increasing common area utilities, then it sounds like you have a good case. Its beneficial to everyone to have a lease in place.

1 Like

its so sad what you and others go through, my sister just got new owners where she lives they raised her rent 200.00 dollars more a month, how can we senior on social security pay this kind of rent, yet all the people coming into New York are getting everything free, i’m not putting any one down just saying why doesn’t our government help us and the vets.???

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, I am looking into this with talks with legal Aid

1 Like

Google the Fair Housing commission for your city or state. I know Philadelphia, Pa has one and it offers free information to landlords and tenants. You can also Google tenant rights for your city and State.

1 Like