Baking bread

I’m in Hornell, NY in the Southern Tier. My husband and I are making our own bread as usual, which I think is pretty easy even if you don’t have yeast. Google sourdough bread starter and you’re on your way. We’re fortunate that he’s able to work remotely. I got onto the Wufoo site and sent a template to our local small business collaborative group so anyone can purchase a gift card on line. We live in a rural agricultural community and hope this will help.

4 Likes

I had no idea you would make that kind of bread without yeast. I just looked and you are absolutely right! Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Colleen Sikosek posted:

I’m in Hornell, NY in the Southern Tier. My husband and I are making our own bread as usual, which I think is pretty easy even if you don’t have yeast. Google sourdough bread starter and you’re on your way. We’re fortunate that he’s able to work remotely. I got onto the Wufoo site and sent a template to our local small business collaborative group so anyone can purchase a gift card on line. We live in a rural agricultural community and hope this will help.

Oh! This is wonderful. I’ve been thinking of baking my own bread. I’ve never done it before, but admittedly, I’ve been finding it more difficult to find bread at the grocery store since it seems to be one of the go to items everyone is grabbing up amid COVID-19.

Curious if you could share more about this — how do you go about storing your homemade bread? How long does your homemade bread keep for?

3 Likes

I just made some amazing Gluten Free potato bread with dried herbs. The best part is there is no kneading! https://www.cottercrunch.com/?..en+free+potato+bread

Simply the best bread I’ve ever made- and very easy. Make sure you have the mashed potatoes made before you start the recipe.

Bon apetit!

2 Likes

This looks so good!

1 Like

https://community.thepennyhoar…0#522051158711564810

Thank you- it did turn out to be quite delicious toasted with cream cheese and lox!

2 Likes

I am sure it did…think of all the ways one can save with shortcuts like this.

1 Like

Exactly! I belong to a FB Foodie group and we are constantly online sharing the best things to make during our quarantine. I love the Swedish crepes from IHOP and just Googled this recipe to see if I could get my fix:

https://www.food.com/recipe/co…dish-pancakes-202308

Enjoy in good health!

1 Like

My son made skillet flatbreads the other day that required no yeast. He said they were good.

2 Likes

That is fantastic. He is learning from you.

1 Like

Susan L. Miller posted:

Exactly! I belong to a FB Foodie group and we are constantly online sharing the best things to make during our quarantine. I love the Swedish crepes from IHOP and just Googled this recipe to see if I could get my fix:

https://www.food.com/recipe/co…dish-pancakes-202308

Enjoy in good health!

They look so good…you can do a lot with those. I put those under my favorites.

My son didn’t learn that from me - he lives on his own and got the recipe online. But thanks for the compliment!

2 Likes

I am sure you have a lot to do with the good in him.

2 Likes

Colleen Sikosek posted:

Is there one recipe that you prefer? I’ve been trying a few to see which we like best as I’d like to skip the grocery for several weeks if possible. Milk and bread seem to be what keeps us going out of house… I fixed milk issue as I froze some! Now just need to find bread I can make that we both like.

1 Like

Sourdough is magical! I had no idea you could DIY yeast with just flour & water. Good tip!

Also - just a quick note - I ordered powdered whole and nonfat Goat’s milk from Amazon and it mixes up amazingly in warm water and keeps in the refrigerator wonderfully. Absolutely delicious. Great for baking, coffee, etc.

1 Like

I just wanted to give a big shout out thanks for the sourdough starter recipe above. I have yeast on order but found that even that is hard to find these days. I’m thrilled to know I can make my own starter - so fantastic. HUGE THANK YOU TO THE GROUP!