Financial Fitness February: Day 19

Wednesday came and flew by and I am just trying to figure out how we are already half way through this week!

Here is what went down financially for me today:

1.) Edited & Posted a Video

A lot of my morning was spent on editing a video that I got done and posted this morning.

It is taking me a lot longer than I wish it would to get videos posted on my channel, but I just have to keep in mind that it is a learning curve and the more I do it, the better I will get.

While right now, posting videos on my channel does not have any direct impact on my finances, my goal is to grow my channel into an income stream in the future and that requires that I stay consistent now with creating and uploading quality content.

My goal is to post once a week, and so far I have been able to meet that goal. But in March, since I will be going back to work, it is only going to be harder to keep up, so I want to make sure I get consistent now.

FUN FACT: You have to have 1K subscribers and 4,000 hours of watch time (in a year) in order to be able to monetize your YouTube channel and make money from advertisements. At this point in my journey, that number seems far away, however I am realizing that when I am consistent, my growth on the platform is also becoming consistent and I look forward to turning it into another income stream in the future.

2.) Reviewed My Investments

For those who may not know, I have been investing for several years now.

Just little bits here and there and trying out many different investment apps that come out.

Over the years I have built up a nice little nest egg of investments by investing $5 here and $10 there.

Because I try out so many different investing apps, my money is spread out between quite a few accounts. So at least once a month I review my accounts and how much money is in each so I can assess my wins and losses from month to month.

I am happy to announce that most of my investments have been doing good thanks to a strong market so I will most definitely take that WIN!

3.) Costco Shopping for Bulk Savings

My wife and I went shopping at Costco at the beginning of the month and picked up most of the food we needed for the month.

However my wife really liked the box of pot pies we picked up and she has been taking them for her lunch at work. Since they were still on sale from what they are normally priced at, we decided to pick up another box of them so we won’t run out too quickly.

Buying it now versus later will also save us $3 or $4 and since we know they won’t go to waste, we figured why not!

Buying food in bulk and planning ahead on your food purchases can be a great way to save money, but you also have to make sure you will be able to finish it before it goes to waste because you wouldn’t want to lose money because you had to throw it out.

One thing I realized I haven’t really focused much on this month is debt reduction, however, this is mostly due to the fact that my wife and I are just starting to get back on our feet after being away from work to travel the 50 States. So I think that I will make that my financial focus in the month of March.

LESSON FROM TODAY: Consistency is the key to future success with anything you do. Whether it is growing a YouTube channel, eliminating debt or building up an emergency fund. A lot of times we are looking for things to happen fast but the truth is, it takes a lot of time. But if instead we learn to focus on today and being consistent, we will find ourselves much further down the road a week, month or year from now.

If you have any financial WINS, share them in the comments!

What is a side income you are working on or would like to develop? What are you doing to consistently move towards that goal?

1 Like

Tutoring—I need current experience in teaching. That is one of the reasons I took on a job at a daycare.

1 Like

@mskimberly That is great! It is always good when you can find a job to provide income to also help you to develop a skillset that can be used elsewhere!

My wife works at a Montessori school because she loves teaching even though she doesn’t have all the certifications to be the lead teacher there or elsewhere yet.

But once she finishes her education, she will already have quite a bit of experience under her belt!

That is wonderful! I have heard great things about Montessori schools.