Financial Fitness February: Day 7 (Big WIN)

Hard to believe a whole week of this month has already past! Time really does fly by when your having fun!

Let’s get into this day of finances.

1.) Delivering for Extra Cash

Today I decided to focus mostly on doing some grocery and food delivery. The thing I love about all the apps that allow you to do this, is the fact that it gives you so much freedom to work on your own schedule.

For example, I worked in the morning but then I needed to go home for a while and get an order ready to ship. So when I finished my delivery, I simply went offline and was able to do what I needed to before logging on for a bit more in the evening.

Today, I delivered with only two apps: Instacart & Uber Eats

(For those interested in learning a bit more about these types of apps, I wrote a post a while back on the topic which you can find in the community here: https://community.thepennyhoar…what-you-should-know)

On Instacart, I did two hours which took me a total of 1 hr and 45 minutes to complete. For those two orders, I earned $44.29

On UberEats, I spent most of the afternoon and a bit of the evening with almost back to back orders.

I spent 6 hrs 35 minutes logged on. In that time I made 16 deliveries. With tips and a small $2 bonus per delivery they were offering in the evening I made $98.12 + $12 in cash tips.

If you do the math, that comes out to over $18 an hour, but when you factor in taxes, gas, etc. it is technically less, but the fact that I can make that money almost on demand and on my own schedule is what makes delivery such a WIN for me!

2.) My Biggest Flip To Date!

If you are wondering if reselling works, here is proof. Though this doesn’t happen all the time, it still does happen.

I mentioned the other day that I sold an item, but I wasn’t going to share about it until I got paid. Well, today the buyer paid and I shipped out the item.

The item was this SDSU Jackrabbits Wresting Singlet:

20200201_212434

FUN FACT: Wrestling is considered the oldest sport on earth.

I picked it up from the thrift store because I saw one had sold on eBay in November for $69.99.

I was expecting to get that much for it.

When I went to list it though, I saw there was one other seller selling the same thing new but without the tags for a huge amount.

So I listed mine high as well. Overnight, the person selling the other one put an offer on mine for $70. I knew it was worth more so I counter offered an he countered back and we ended up at $125.

Although he was selling his much higher than that and I may have been able to get much more if I had waited a while. I was happy to take his offer and let him hold onto it and try to sell it for higher.

Why? Because I ONLY PAID $5 for it! thumb

After shipping and fees, that leaves me with over $100 profit, on a wrestling singlet of all things!

I believe this happens to be my most profitable resale flip to date, and I will take that financial WIN all day long!

There are other things I could mention but this post is getting long so they will just have to wait.

Thanks for reading this far, I know I can be kinda long winded but I get excited about financial WINS no matter how big or small.

But I also love to hear from you guys what’s going on in your lives so please feel free to leave a comment!

LESSON FROM TODAY: You never know what items can be valuable. If it catches your eye or looks interesting, look it up on eBay, you might be surprised by what you find!

1 Like

Oh man, I’m really liking the delivery option more and more as you talk about it. That’s definitely something I want to look into. You’re going blazes this month!

1 Like

@sthom Thanks! If you have any specific questions about any of the delivery companies, feel free to reach out here or message me and I will do my best to address any questions or concerns you may have!

Wow, great flip Jon! You had a great day!

1 Like

Great job Jon!!

I typically shop Amazon Prime (love the free shipping, low prices, fast delivery), Sam’s Club (I love some of their products and I use their credit card for cash back, which also pays for my membership), Wal-Mart (low prices) and a local grocery store (double coupons). On larger priced items that I regularly buy, I keep track of how much each item is at the different retailers. That way, if I see an item on sale somewhere or the price goes up or down at any of them, I keep track to make sure I’m getting the best price.

I also shop the local thrift store, which is a religious based charity that uses the profits to help support our local charities. I donate all unwanted items to them as a double charitable donation.

2 Likes

@mintjulep Yes Indeed! :)

@dboothe All great ways to save money with your shopping! And thrift shopping and donating is a great way to give back to the community!

I prefer Costco over Sam’s club but they do have a similar thing with their Credit Card and cashback.

On the topic of credit cards, I have also been using my Walmart Credit card to shop at Walmart for the cashback.

Not only do they give you a small bonus when you sign up and spend a certain amount on purchases, they also offer cashback on your Walmart purchases.

This year they are also running a promotion where if you pay with your Walmart Credit card using Walmart Pay (in the app) they give 5% cashback on your purchase!

2 Likes

Hey Jon, I was previously a Costco member and loved it BUT it is 40 minutes away. A couple years ago Sam’s Club was built less than 5 minutes from my home, Sooo!

1 Like

I was wondering where you get the items that you sell online? I’ve thought about going to thrift stores to source items, and I also know there are liquidation outlets online and locally that I can source items from. What sort of items do you look for? I was thinking purses, but I can be flexible on that.

@dboothe Sam’s club definitely sounds like more more financially sound choice for you for sure :)

@lismox I source from thrift stores, retail stores (mostly clearance), and a little from online auctions such as K-Bid. Also, in the summer I go to a lot of yard sales and estate sales for more items.

I kind of am all over the place with the types of items I sell. I like testing things so I will venture into almost any niche to see if it is profitable for me.

What I have found is that it really varies for each person and depends a lot on your area. I know some resellers who do really well with shoes while others do well with health and beauty or electronics.

Another lady I know of, does mostly discontinued items and makes good money selling it.

It just really boils down to getting out and seeing what options you have around you for sourcing and doing some research to find what items you find profitable.

Also, if it is an item you are very familiar with, like if you are a purse person, naturally it is going to be much easier for you to find and sell that item because you should have a good eye for the types of brands that are popular and worth money.

That being said, you can always develop a good eye for a certain niche, it just takes practice and some trial and error. But if purses are something you enjoy, it makes the learning process that much more fun.

I would say, just start by taking some time to visit a local thrift store or two for a couple hours and start researching every item you think might be more valuable than it cost and you will start to get the hang of it.

I personally haven’t gotten into liquidation pallets because I don’t have room for it at the moment, but in the future it is something I would at least like to give a try.

Hope this helps, and of course, if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to help! :)

Hello Moore Income, I’m following Taco Stacks on Utube. He picks up stuff, resells online, does flea markets, and metal scrapping. Fun to watch. He might give you ideas?

1 Like

@olivia thanks for the tip, I will have to check him out! I actually just saw someone mention him on their Instagram earlier today so it sounds like he has some authority on the topic for sure.

I am also currently a huge fan of Hairy Tornado who also posts about reselling on YouTube.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Hairy Tornado. Certainly won’t forget his name either. Oh my.

2 Likes

@olivia Yeah laughHe makes some good content and shares a lot of valuable info so I would definitely recommend watching him.

1 Like

Stayed up a bit last night to watch a Hairy Tornado podcast. Very grateful for your recommendation. It happened to be a recent one describing his journey to self employment. Appreciate his transparency about his life and business.

2 Likes

Glad you found him helpful. @olivia He is very transparent, real and just a great person in general.

He is also very approachable and friendly every time I interact with him. He is on Instagram as well so I will sometimes chat with him about things related to reselling or just about some his interests like The Office, etc.

1 Like