Finding Pennies and Other Coins

I’ve noticed that it is not easy finding pennies and coins on the ground now. I used to always find them (and sometimes bills, as much as $20 at least twice in my own yard), but it’s rare to find them for my coin jar now. I wonder if the pandemic has taught more people to “bother” with picking up those dropped coins! Has anyone else noticed this?

2 Likes

@sthom, you could be right. Personally, I’ve noticed I use a lot less cash, especially in the last year-and-a-half. Many businesses I frequent have gone cashless as well. That could be one factor in a lack of change laying around.

2 Likes

i think your right

2 Likes

Most of the change I have found is in the parking lots of convenience stores.

2 Likes

Its true, I feel like I don’t see them as much. Now that may also be due to the fact that I have not been as observant as I may have been before but I do think you may be onto something.

2 Likes

Like most people. I use my Debit card. No change to lose. Also, there is a change shortage nationally. Just to boot, Canada, our neighbors to the North, have stopped making pennies a couple of years ago! BY the way, does that good luck thing only apply to pennies or is it any coin. How about folding money?

2 Likes

Absolutely, folding money is even better, @swp63. I use my debit card mostly as well, which is why it’s a treat when I find coins of any denomination. BTW, my bank deposited my Christmas Club check yesterday. Quite a bit of it comes from found coins, some bills, then my regular deposits.

Happy Holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas), everyone.

1 Like

@sthom, so this is actually a thing.

I first noticed it this past weekend when I went to pick up my mom’s prescriptions at CVS. There was a sign on the window asking people to please use exact change if possible and refrain from using large bills because the store was short on change due to a cap imposed by the Federal Reserve.

Wait…what??

This really struck me, so I did some Googling and found that the U.S. Treasury has been having issues with the circulation of coins ever since the pandemic started. They even created a U.S. Coin Task Force last summer to address disruptions in circulation.

According to this post by the U.S. Treasury: “There is currently an adequate overall amount of coins in the economy. But business and bank closures associated with the COVID-19 pandemic significantly disrupted normal circulation patterns for U.S. coins.”

It’s pretty fascinating stuff to read about!

I enjoy my change I have a large collection of copper pennies over 1,800 pounds . Lol. from 1909 to 1982. After 1982 the composition of Penny’s changed to a very thin layer of copper and the rest is zink. If a zink penny is out laying in the elements outside on the ground it will rot, wither away to nothing. And dose anyone in here know about serial numbers on dollar bills I got a rating of 98.7%on fancy serial number look up. The number on my bill is 33390993 can anyone help with what it could be worth it’s a 2017 bill. Thank you and I’m new by the way not the best speller or punctuationist so go easy on me.hahaha

How to find coins? Is that easy?

It helps me move around easily when going to the store cookie clicker online

Our Walgreens has a sign posted, they will take in your rolled coins in exchange for paper money, which is what I did. It was easier then going to the bank where they monitor the transaction of any money exchange on your account. So if you take you rolled coins to the bank, they want the account number on the roll, then they will document the coins for dollars. Too much bureaucracy and red tape for a simple transaction. You think they’d be happy to do an even exchange at the bank, but no.

My bank has a machine to count your cange, but they charge a fee (15%). It should be free if they need the change!