Have you ever found unclaimed money you were owed?

Has anyone ever used unclaimed.org to find money they were owed? Unclaimed.org is a website maintained by the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators. Basically, all sorts of unclaimed money — like forgotten security deposits, old paychecks, etc. — get sent there if you don’t collect your money within a set period of time.

A couple of years ago, I searched my name and found I was owed $81.13 for an old utility deposit. I Found $81 From an Old Deposit. Could You Have Forgotten Money, Too? Many years before that, I found an old paycheck from a part-time job I had in college. But my biggest find was my then-boyfriend’s $900 security deposit for an old apartment.

Obviously, this wasn’t free money. In fact, we both missed out on the opportunity to earn interest since the money earns 0% when it’s in the hands of your state’s treasurer. But when it’s money you’ve long forgotten about, it feels like free money.

About 1 in 10 people in the U.S. have unclaimed money. So it’s worth taking a minute or two to search your name on unclaimed.org to see if you, too, have long-forgotten money.

2 Likes

I tried it and found a misc. check from some stock dividends that never delivered because I’ve moved three times in four years. I have up to $50 coming my way. Score!

2 Likes

I haven’t found any unclaimed money so far, but I check periodically for myself and family. Keep hope alive! :grinning:

1 Like

No, I’ve never found any unclaimed funds and not from a lack of trying :smile:. I look in four states and no luck so far.

Don’t spend it all in one place! :partying_face:

@brigat @sthom Probably a good thing because it means you’re organized! :grinning: