How do you get great deals at Thrift Stores?

“Thrifting is like mountaineering, but instead of getting intriguing views you get some good deals at the end”

Many People shop at thrift stores- some out of necessity, while some love it! Either way, Thrift stores provide more appealing options if you are not more in to the latest trends. The best part? You can find something you love, at the ridiculously lowest price tag!

Plus, you can save a lot of money like buying an entire bag of clothes for $20. You couldn’t even imagine how much stuff you could buy for so less bucks.

But finding a perfect piece from the thrift store is like bringing out a diamond from the coal mine. You have to use some tricks to become a Pro at thrifting.

What are your favorite hacks that help you get some diamonds from the coal mine without any hassle?

Mine are,

1> Go Early

2> Shop on the right days like 4th of July, Veterans Day, Memorial Day, Presidents Day, Halloween, and Labor Day.

3> Compromise on small repairs and alterations like sewing small tears, or replacing the soles of shoes.

4> Shop like you are on a treasure hunt if you want to get something unique, dig a bit. Trust me it’s worth the hunt!

3 Likes

I love thrift stores. They are the FIRST place I go when looking for something.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips.

1 Like

I can understand the lure of thrift shopping for that coveted item, like a vintage furniture piece that just needs the right touch to make beautiful again, but the problem for me is I am not going to travel excessively to purposely visit a Thrift Shop. Lately, with everyone doing the “KanMari” routine of removing excess items from their home, thrift shops have become overwhelmed, I certainly don’t want someone else’s junk. I value quality over price of the item, I doubt the items I consider quality items would even end up in the Thrift shops by me and if they do, the shop workers have already removed them to sell on sites like Craig’s List themselves. Plus there are so many “garage sales” happening, at least in my area, by people who buy and dispose of items quickly. Good Luck to all you, professional Thrift Shoppers.

1 Like

I think it depends on the thrift store. I have more success in a small town thrift store located about 1000 miles from me! It’s a town where most of my family lives. The secret at that thrift is going often. The store itself is huge, and it’s run by volunteers for the local hospital auxiliary. The volunteers put out “new” items every day, sometimes all day long. Probably half of my current wardrobe is from that shop. The jeans are great because they’ve already been “broken in” and I find better fits there than at a new store!

3 Likes

The thrift store near us goes on a system where you get further discounts because of the price tag color. If the day is Tuesday and the color is purple customers get 50% off-they do not broadcast the color until the opening of the store, making it fair for all.

What is disheartening is they go through with a large cart and if items have been on the shelf too long, they just dump it into the cart and there is major breakage. I don’t have a good solution for this waste, but so sad to see it go.But, how could they make money if they offered this stuff for free and charged for the rest of the store-it just would not work. They have a huge flow of inventory so what else can they do?

2 Likes

MINTJULEP…also the clothes have been washed and dried multiple times so you know that they are not going to SHRINK! Woo-Hoo!

2 Likes

REDCATCEC, Hope all is well.

I think the thrift store could still make money and not break things that have been on the shelf too long. Our local thrift store trades items with another thrift store in a nearby area if they have been on the shelf too long. Fresh eyes could bring a sale.

Also, they have occasional “dollar day” sales, seasonal sales, half off on Tuesdays for senior citizens, half off on Wednesdays for all, half off on Mondays for first responders, half off on Fridays for volunteers of any kind with proof of volunteering. I love that the proceeds go to local charities in our area. It was a lifesaver when I was losing a lot of weight…I couldn’t afford to buy new clothes every month. I searched through our huge thrift store and would donate the too large clothes and buy a smaller size for “half price” on Tuesdays, senior citizen day. That’s half off of their already low, low price. I loved it!

2 Likes

That’s great they can trade articles! But that costs money to do that, someone either has to volunteer or they have to pay to move the items. Which ever it is, it works for them. Maybe a mutual transport system of some kind, like a barter.

The local thrift store here has had some major re-vamping, it needed it, now well organized, well lit, and not a cluttered mess like it used to be. Always room for improvement.

2 Likes

I love thrift stores for souvenirs. I travel a lot and have found some cool things representing the areas I am visiting. In NM, I found a wooden roadrunner, the state bird. I found a paper mache figure from Mexico for $1. I do have a rule, however. I only go to thrift stores where I know my money will go to someone in need, not a fatcat CEO. Check out your charity before you give your money to the standard thrift stores like Goodwill. Try to keep the money local. I have a favorite I go to in Roswell, NM where the money goes to feed children breakfast before school. I have one I go to In Traverse City, MI which assists women in abusive relationships who are ready to leave their partner. I’ve actually seen them give a woman a household full of things so she can escape her partner. I like to go to the animal shelter thrift stores, they often have animals for adoption in the store.

5 Likes

Keep a list of things that you need. Go shopping with that list in mind and only buy what you came for… or else you will end up with more junk that you don’t need.

3 Likes

Shop on “50% of Everything” sale days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When our kids were younger thrift stores and yard sales were the only way I could clothe them. They grew so fast. Even though sizes may give you a general idea of what your kids wear, there is so much variation between manufacturers, I found measurements to be more accurate. When shopping, take a tape measure along with a list of what your kids need to fill out their wardrobes. // I sometimes used the same kind of strategy when shopping for household goods, by taking measurements and bringing color swatches. // If friends or family wanted me to keep an eye out for something specific, it went on that same list.

3 Likes

When our boys were babies-children and growing fast, we resorted to 2nd stores, a huge savings. It was nothing to put in a needed stitch. Yard sales too, people were not timid about sending lots of extra clothes you way for kids.They went to a good cause and they had no further use for them.

Have to admit, I am a bit wary about small appliances-whether or not they will work. From experience, I have found people just want to get rid of stuff that is almost non-functional or on it’s last legs…buyer beware, it is “as is”.

3 Likes

REDCATCEC, You are right to be wary about small appliances. When my children were little, money was very tight. We needed a blender. I happened to see one at a flea market. The owner said it worked and we even went to an electrical outlet and plugged it in. It worked!! Until I got it home that it. It didn’t even work one time. Lesson learned…small price to pay I guess but at the time I was so disappointed.

1 Like

OLIVIA, Wow, you were very organized and smart with your shopping. And very kind to add your family’s items to look out for to your list.

Seems like there are some of the smartest shoppers in the forum. I really learned few more good tips to shop wisely.

2 Likes