How I save money on pest control

Pest control can be so expensive. I have seen prices from $99 to $130 for quarterly treatments. Bugs are annoying but that is a high cost to get rid of them. I recently found and started using a more affordable option. The company is called pestie.com and it’s so much more affordable and so far its worked great.

Hope this helps!

I was intrigued by this Pestie and want to stop using what I use now for 2 places…Ortho. But two things stuck out for me: (1) on the website, it appears to be used only outdoors; is that correct?, and (2) it’s a subscription service, which I’m trying to stay away from those for now. I still may take a gander at it come Spring as they have a 20% off coupon. Thanks for the tip, Elon Must Save.

1 Like

Last year we went to a Home and Garden show and of course there was a pest control company there we had used. We explained to them their cost was too high and could they offer anything at a discount. Right then and there the manager dropped our cost of $99/visit to $75/visit, we were on a quarterly basis for treatments. Then I got to thinking about bugs and why did we need someone to come out and spray around outside 4 times a year. The only problem time we have is when the crickets come out in Aug, then we need help. The company had difficulty understanding we did not need “all that” treatment. Bottom line is we took a close to $300 fee down to $75, and all is going well. If they counter in the future with a price increase, we’ll go elsewhere.

REDCATCEC, Great job. The pest control companies have these BIG plans and like to use fear to lure you into a contract. We fell for that one time. We had carpenter ants. Our cat heard them in the wood and would alert us to them, but we just thought he was kooky. Carpenter ants don’t eat the wood like termites, but burrow through damp wood and destroy it just the same. It cost us $500 to have them come out and spray. They found the nest and got the queen (she was FREAKY looking) and all the colony, but then came out every three months for a year for follow up. Once we repaired the damage they had done and repaired the hole made in the house by the man who built our deck, I doubt we really needed follow up, but the FEAR!!

2 Likes

There was an exterminating company that sold a version almost as strong as their product to consumer’s. It was better than anything you could get in the store. I couldn’t hire them because I live in an apartment but their product kept all types of bugs away for almost a year and I’m not exaggerating. They have gone out of business so I’m looking for an alternative.

Thank goodness you kitty alerted you to carpenter ants, you were lucky to catch this before serious damage occurred.

The pest companies do play on the fear factor to the point of calling you back and wanting to do a free safety inspection. It is a search for anything that might be slightly suggestive. We look at it as a way to drum up business. Same deal with the automotive repair industry, you take your car in for something minor and end up with a suggested-recommended list of lots to be done…flushes, inspections, replacements-adding up to a handsome sum of money, probably enough to pay for a semester of college.

We took our car into a chain tire place because the tire pressure indicator light was on, please just check the pressures and add air where needed. Then we can go down the road and the light will go off because the pressures are ok. Oh, no, they wanted $52 to reset the computer, fortunately we had a good mechanic there who was kind and did it for free. The business desk man wanted money, the company line.

1 Like

REDCATCEC, Oh, haha, we didn’t LISTEN to what Kitty was trying to tell us. We thought he was nuts! It was only when we saw what was going on with the damage that we actually did anything about it and by then, YES, maybe not major damage, but several hundred dollars worth. Ugh.

some colleges have a course in pest control. after taking, you will be licensed to purchase the professional grade products and have the knowledge to use them safely.

1 Like

MeJJ posted:

some colleges have a course in pest control. after taking, you will be licensed to purchase the professional grade products and have the knowledge to use them safely.

That is true. Its might be a good option for some. I didn’t want to get licenced so I talked to the support team at pestie and they said because I am only using it on my home I don’t need to have a licence but it is professional-grade pesticide and normally you would need a licence to use the product if you were going to spray other homes besides your own.

redcatcec posted:

Last year we went to a Home and Garden show and of course there was a pest control company there we had used. We explained to them their cost was too high and could they offer anything at a discount. Right then and there the manager dropped our cost of $99/visit to $75/visit, we were on a quarterly basis for treatments. Then I got to thinking about bugs and why did we need someone to come out and spray around outside 4 times a year. The only problem time we have is when the crickets come out in Aug, then we need help. The company had difficulty understanding we did not need “all that” treatment. Bottom line is we took a close to $300 fee down to $75, and all is going well. If they counter in the future with a price increase, we’ll go elsewhere.

Also I forgot to mention this is great for where you live but other places may not be willing to go that low. I think they will ship anywhere in the US so that helps.

K Jennings posted:

There was an exterminating company that sold a version almost as strong as their product to consumer’s. It was better than anything you could get in the store. I couldn’t hire them because I live in an apartment but their product kept all types of bugs away for almost a year and I’m not exaggerating. They have gone out of business so I’m looking for an alternative.

Yeah from the looks of it that is what Pestie is doing. Good luck

1 Like

sthom posted:

I was intrigued by this Pestie and want to stop using what I use now for 2 places…Ortho. But two things stuck out for me: (1) on the website, it appears to be used only outdoors; is that correct?, and (2) it’s a subscription service, which I’m trying to stay away from those for now. I still may take a gander at it come Spring as they have a 20% off coupon. Thanks for the tip, Elon Must Save.

Yeah its outdoor only from what I know. Also, you can cancel anytime so you could just sign up for 3 shipments and then cancel. Good luck!

redcatcec posted:

Yeah, I found a similar thing. They never want to do a single service and even $75 is not super cheap. $36 really helps my budget.

1 Like

Elon Must Save posted:

K Jennings posted:

Yeah from the looks of it that is what Pestie is doing. Good luck

Pestie is outdoors. I only need indoors.

I wanted to follow up here. Pestie.com just launched a spring sale and they now offer one time purchases.

1 Like

Elon Must Save posted:

sthom posted:

Yeah its outdoor only from what I know. Also, you can cancel anytime so you could just sign up for 3 shipments and then cancel. Good luck!

I wanted to mention that got a notification that the spring sale started with that 20% off. Good luck!

1 Like

K Jennings posted:

FYI Pestie.com started its sale today.

Do not forget about getting your home tested for pests before buying.There are some easy signs of infestation, but you wont truly know what pest hide in your insulation or underneath your home until you leave it for several days.when you are not using your food be sure its sealed properly. Many pests love to smell of food so keep it contained to keep them away.Repair all of your screens if flying insects are prevalent in your area.In addition to preventing flying insects from entering they can also deter those who crawl.Holes are in your screens are an open invitation to let bugs into your home.Oil of mustard is a great way to repel uninvited raccoons that are living in your home.The oil should be put in the area that its living. Once you do this you need to discover just how the raccoon entered your home.Use the tips appropriate to your problem and learn some more on your own.The time to deal with your pest problem is today.

1 Like