job search/resume/cover letter

on the job hunt and all the specifics of what u should or should not do or include/not include gets confusing especially with so many “experts” differing on their opinions.

i have finally got to the point of submitting resumes on sites like indeed, glass door etc but hit a wall about a cover letter…yes?no?how?do u include as part of uploaded resume d Or do you type out something in the space they provide in the additional information section? Should you even bother with a cover letter if they don’t specifically ask for one in the job ad? I heard one expert say that with email and electronically applying that there’s really no need for a cover letter and he is surprised that some employers still want them. On the other hand I hear other experts saying how important a cover letter is in order to sell yourself.

any information on this would be very helpful and extremely appreciated.

Hi @slynneh.25! Here are two articles from www.ThePennyHoarder.com you may find helpful in answering some of the questions you have about cover letters.

Are Cover Letters Dying? Maybe, But Here’s Why You Should Write Them AnywayThis Easy Three-Step Guide Will Help You Nail Your Next Cover Letter

Oooh. This is a good question and probably relevant to a lot of people, especially since the new year is around the corner and more people are looking for new roles. You’re right — there are a lot of differing opinions on what you should or should not do in the job search and sometimes it’s hard to decipher which is which.

In my personal experience, I have generally found following the standard formula of: application, resume and cover letter works. Different hiring managers look for different things. Some really care for cover letters, others don’t. You’ll probably be on the safe side if you just go ahead and include one. I think a lot of job seekers get bogged down with cover letters because let’s be real: it takes time to write them and it can feel a little tedious.

I’ll tell you one thing that cover letters are great for is giving context! It’s a great place to show off your personality and work habits, and to explain things that can’t easily be spelled out in a resume. For example, if you’re in Kansas but applying to a job in NYC, a cover letter would be a great place to outline that you have family and friends in NYC and are looking to move within the next month. It gives additional context that the resume could not.

Hope this helps somewhat! Keep us posted on your search. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m no expert, but I always encourage people to use cover letters and I use them myself. It gives you a chance to make it personal and specific to the position, agency, yourself.

1 Like

read the articles and yes it did help, especially in a couple ways very relevant to my job search…thank you for having taken the time to share that info…

2 Likes

Hmmm, a really good question! I would say it depends on the job vs position (career). If a simple task job like working at McDonalds, then, no, a cover letter would not be necessary. A basic resume is all that is needed with just the facts and dates pertaining to potential employment there.

If going after a position/career then the potential employer would want to know if you are capable of the communication skills that would be of benefit to the company. The potential employee-through the cover letter- lets Human Resources know they are able to represent the company in person (actual interview) and on paper. This is a win/win situation.

1 Like

It depends on the position. If it’s a manager position or above, then a cover letter is typically a good idea. Otherwise, it’s probably a waste of time unless the job ad specifically asks for one. If a cover letter is needed, keep it simple, but customize it and include information specific to the position you are applying for (i.e. your relevant experience or skills/attributes, your passion for the type of work, why you think you would be a good fit for the job, etc.).

A short cover letter highlighting your skills towards the job you are applying to is helpful. Keep it short and to the point.