Month 1 is closing out soon...how is everybody doing?

I didn’t make many resolutions (I like to call them “commitments”) but grinding out debt was one of them, and also not to charge anything new that I couldn’t pay off by the due date. I made a start this month by paying in full a card I used for Christmas gift cards. On to the next card, which I’m targeting for three months. And then… :slightly_smiling_face:there are more.

I did pay off my house in November and got my title this month. The interest rate back in 2000 was 6.875% (30-year term), which is about what mortgages cost nowadays. I could have kept that money, but the relief of not having that payment going into a recession (are we there yet?) made emotional sense for me.

5 Likes

Hey, congratulations!!
That sounds fabulous!

congratulations job well done you must be proud of yourself

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m grateful I was able to pay off loan earlier than planned, but not so proud that I still have debt :sweat_smile:, But gratefulness in all things, @irishnanny.

2 Likes

Congratulations, @sthom!

I paid off one card. Onto the next as well!

I also opened a CD at my credit union for 15 months with 5.26% APY.

3 Likes

Congratulations to you as well, @pinay. We’re on our way :grin:. That rate for the CD is insanely good. I use a credit union as well as my primary bank.

2 Likes

Congratulations on paying off your home, sthom!! Woooo Hooooo what an accomplishment!

2 Likes

Thanks, @mintjulep. The relief. I’ve owned three homes, and this is the first one I’ve paid off. My cousin told me at 70, you need to go ahead and get rid of that :grin:. I’ll be 70 in March (boy, did it come around fast). Still got a ways to go with other debts, though.

1 Like

Hi pinay i opened a CD at my credit union for 3.25 they offer so i took it

3 Likes

@sthom Congrats on paying off your house – that’s HUGE!

I’m still working on paying down credit card debt and doing my best to be frugal until that’s taken care of.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, @will . It may not have been the smartest move, considering I still have credit card debt with crazy rates, but for my piece of mind and age, LoL, I decided to go for it. My funny cousin, with whom I share financial information, just had to make it about age :smiley:. I wish I had been smarter in my 30s. I’m not sure Dear Penny would approve, and I really value her insights and straight talk. Sometimes, I intend to read just one of her mailbag letters and before I know it, I’ve gone through several.

2 Likes

Congratulations@sthom! Good job!

2 Likes

That’s a really great CD rate. I plan to purchase a CD next month.

2 Likes

Congratulations! Things are starting to look better for me; even entering into a recession. I’m doing some things that will help. I’ve added another stream of income (Paperpie) and I have my other company that is expanding into shopping for choice and prime meat online at wholesale costs. As people find out about it we can help open accounts and receive residual income. The one big bonus the pandemic did was allow people to be creative in how people shop etc. There are more opportunities for people to do more online shopping and a lot of companies are allowing individuals to create streams of income. This will help as the recession looms ahead of us. Of course, watching how I spend and being more mindful what what I am buying. I’m working at purging things and downsizing. Great question. It’s always good to check in with folks.

3 Likes

Thank you. Adding additional streams of income is really smart, @leta.muncie. I agree that we have to continue to be mindful of how we spend. 2022 was brutal and with a coming recession, well. January and February are hard months as well because so many things seem to come due. Paperpie sounds interesting. What’s it about? I think you’ll do great, recession or not.

1 Like

@sthom Have you heard of Usborne Book? Kane Miller Books? Smart Lab? Paper Pie is the Home Business section for these books and products. A consultant can have a Paper Pie account and help market these books through links and doing online “parties.” It is a great way to add a little or a lot of income.
I am an educator and coach at heart so it is a great fit. The company use to go by Usborne; but the contract ran out with Usborne so by naming it: Paper Pie it opens the door for other markets. Most people like pie and books so it is a great marketing idea. I have a Facebook group called: “Leta’s Paper Pie and More.” I don’t know if you’re on Facebook but feel free to check it out. It is a private group so you’ll have to be added.
The “More” is going to help with my other residual income business. I open accounts for an online wellness company. I’ve been with the company for over 20 years. We just expanded in the beef industry as well. So, I think the combination of the two fit well with families, older folks, singles, college-age. Any way to save a buck, enjoy leisure time, be healthy and make some extra money.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting, @leta.muncie . Thanks for the information. You’re setting yourself up well.

2 Likes

Great. I am just being lazy

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, Grace! :money_mouth_face: :moneybag:

1 Like

Good morning Grace- welcome to the community! I look forward to seeing your posts :slight_smile: