Side Hustles

I was first introduced to the concept of a “side hustle” when I saw a YouTube video by The Penny Hoarder talking about them. I was beyond intrigued. I followed a link to one of their articles about different side hustles you can do to make extra cash.

I swear there were over 100 options and as soon as I started reading it, I began signing up for nearly all of them. It took hours and has been so worth it.

That article has changed my outlook on money and how to spend and save properly. I started selling clothes to a local consignment store instead of donating them, I signed up for survey websites, downloaded coupon apps, became a transcritptionist, started babysitting, did user testing, and eventually found my way to an online teaching job.

How has The Penny Hoarder helped you view “side hustles” differently? What side hustles have you done and what ones are you still doing? I have found that different things work for everyone and there’s money out there to be made as long as you are willing to put in the work!

I’d love to hear from you.

-Kirsten

7 Likes

I’ve done several side hustles. I’ve babysat, mystery shopped, product testing, focus groups, medical studies, let a beauty company test hair products out on me (this was my favorite because I got a free blowout and $40), Amazon delivery, and delivering organic fruit and veggie boxes for a local company (I got to take my daughter plus pay and all our fruits and veggies were free). Currently I’m trying out buying liquidations and reselling on Poshmark and eBay. We’re currently saving money to buy another house with an in law suite so we can rent it out on Airbnb.

7 Likes

@crystal Those are all amazing ways to bring in extra money. Now I’m going to be searching for more! And my dream house will have a separate space for Airbnb too! Love it.

3 Likes

@melissa you were just talking about some of these the other day!

2 Likes

My “side gigs” started when I was in sixth grade (age 12) and I haven’t stopped even in my retirement. I was working five or six side hustles through my junior high and high school years… yup, back in the 1970s! You’ve surely heard of teen millionaires, right? Well, I was NOT one of them. I was, however, able to support private art lessons and supplies in the following ways: Selling unimprinted calendars in the Fall / Winter with overstock from neighbors who ran a printing press in their homes; babysitting (and organizing play dates for the kids on weekends); selling my artwork; reading Tarot cards for home parties and delivering prescriptions (with my Dad) for three area pharmacies. Current ways to earn extra income include teaching people unique ways on how to cut costs, writing, selling online (daily deals and local deep discount stores offer best profit potentials) and small business web site content writing. I quit a part-time drug store job to use my time to become a “bargain hunter.” I’m now able to save far more on routine purchases each month than I ever earned at the corner of Happy and Healthy. Stay tuned, everyone. I will be sharing those tips in this exciting Penny Hoarder Community in the “Save Money” forums.

5 Likes

@crystal how are you liking Poshmark? I just signed up not too long ago too!

2 Likes

@kirsten.cherry which side hustle have you enjoyed the most? I’d love to hear how it’s benefitted you!

3 Likes

I started a side gig back in the day when it was referred to as “moonlighting” in 1981 and grew it into a profitable full-time business that I continue to operate. I clean up litter outside commercial properties on foot using simple hand tools. It’s almost as easy to do as going for a daily walk! My latest side hustle is my book, Cleanlots, that shares my experience with others wanting to do the same.

6 Likes

@briana so far I like it. I find it easy to use. Out of my personal stuff, I’m selling maternity clothes and baby clothes. I also bought a box of Amazon returns from liquidation.com. After shipping it came to almost $300. The description said it’s retail valued at $3300, I’m finding it’s actually more. I’m working on looking up the actual retail value of things and posting them for 50% off. There were over a 100 items in the box. There are a few items I’ll probably take to goodwill. If all goes well, after shipping supplies, what I paid for the box, and Postmark fees, I think I’ll profit around $1,000.

6 Likes

@crystal WHAT! That sounds like an incredible plan. You’ll definitely have to keep me updated on how it goes. Do you see yourself consistently buying from liquidation.com and then selling?

2 Likes

@Briana- that’s my plan. I’m a SAHM with a 3 month old and 2 1/2 year old. I’m working on trying to get everything posted on Poshmark when my kids are napping or after they go to bed. My goal is to post at least 5-10 items a day.

2 Likes

@crystal How much roughly do you pay for shipping on Poshmark? Also, how are the fees on Poshmark?

1 Like

@candice- Poshmark takes 20% when you sell an item. The buyer pays a set shipping fee. When an item sells, they send you the shipping label. I bought a 100 poly mailers on Amazon for $12 to ship my items.

3 Likes

Briana posted:

@kirsten.cherry which side hustle have you enjoyed the most? I’d love to hear how it’s benefitted you!

I love doing VIPKID the most because I’m a very social person and I get to interact with kids who are excited to learn. The pay is also substantial so that makes the top of my list. I also love the ease of user testing because it takes 10-20 minutes and is decent pay for that little time!

5 Likes

I’ve heard so many good things about VIPKID. Do you need to have a teaching degree?

1 Like

Briana posted:

I’ve heard so many good things about VIPKID. Do you need to have a teaching degree?

You don’t have to have a teaching degree but you do need a bachelors degree. I have a degree in biology and worked in healthcare for 3 years before I had my daughter. It has been a perfect job for a “stay at home mom” such as myself!

3 Likes

Wow! That’s good to know. I’ve been curious about trying it out, so I’ll look into it. Thanks!

2 Likes

I do InstaGC, Swagbucks, and Prolific Academic. These are sites where you can take surveys, watch videos, signup for newsletters, print coupons, and a bunch of other stuff. I make a couple hundred extra dollars per month doing this on top of working a full time job.

3 Likes

I do freelance thru Upwork. It has definitely helped me out.

3 Likes

I am a Wine Guide for Traveling Vineyard!! It is an amazing way to earn some extra money and get FREE bottles of wine for yourself! I made an extra $500 last month plus got $150 in free wine! And I just do it on the side! Message me if you’re interested and I can give you more details!

2 Likes