Student loans

I’ve have approximately $25,000. in student loads. I’m 65, become disabled and receive a small SSI check. Does the student loan become forgiven due to my situation?

I’m pretty sure you can get the loan forgiven due to your disability, but I would check with your student loan servicer and see what the application process is.

It is my understanding that it can be, but definitely look into it with your loan provider.

I’m 54 and have around 32K in private student loans. I am a teacher and applied for loan forgiveness three times when I taught in a Title 1 school and was rejected every time.

I am simultaneously paying off my parent loans for my son and daughter, both of who are still in college. That’s right. I’m paying: the expected family contribution for two children; the parent loans I had to take out for both of their first-year in college; and my own student loans.

I have stopped paying on the parent loans (which I was doing voluntarily and which are now accumulating interest) and I have forbearance status for my student loans for a year so interest is accumulating on those as well.

Is there anything else I can do to lessen the load?

Thanks for the help.

Is the government thinking about passing a bill on the student loans forgiveness .

I wish the government would forgive student Loans. I owe $68,000 in student loans. I am a single mother with a mortgage living in NY not cheap. My income is $54,000 yr. Go figure, how will I ever repay this unless I receive a windfall at 55yrs old. God help us all.

You’ll have to do some investigating. You can start a payment plan based on your income. There also forgiveness programs. Here’s one site https://studentaid.gov/manage-…iveness-cancellation That website offers many programs. Get Jiggy. No one can do it for you thumb

1 Like

@mark.sandon posted:

I’ve have approximately $25,000. in student loads. I’m 65, become disabled and receive a small SSI check. Does the student loan become forgiven due to my situation?

There should be actually no reasonable reason for going for loans when there are very ways of earning even with your little investment into the stock market. Today, due to the covid-19 lock down, the stock market had been a very high profiting means of earning to every investors and is to all to newbies.

Thank you Nelson. I will look into it.

My experience is this. State and Federal Student loan forgiveness programs are seperate entities. I’m in Minnesota my site is>… https://www.health.state.mn.us/facilities/ruralhealth/funding/loans/faq.html look for a similar site for your state. A Federal information site is https://studentaid.gov/manage-…iveness-cancellation State and Federal Loans, In Most cases you have to be in deferment, which means you have made perfect payments for like 120 months. No partial payments, No late payments. This is a really complicated issue and you’ll have to do some digging for information. Only You can deal with these issues. The loans will Never go away if you don’t act. No one will do it for you and no one will feel sorry for you. Get going.wave

You are right Nelson. Your advise is much appreciated.