The Best Industries and Companies to Find Work From Home Jobs

Hello Penny Hoarders!

A fair amount of my job at The Penny Hoarder is staying on top of work-from-home (WFH) trends and finding legitimate employers. So I’ve decided to make a quick guide to working from home. Below, I’ll break up the info into tips for finding WFH jobs and specific industries and companies.

(Remember, The Penny Hoarder has a WFH Jobs Portal if you want to apply to individual jobs!)

TIPS ON SEARCHING FOR WFH JOBS

WFH jobs can sometimes be too good to be true. If it feels like that, trust your gut. Overall, vet them before you give sensitive information, money or your work.

1. Don’t apply through third party sites (including Indeed). Find the job posting on their website to see if 1. it’s legit and 2. if it’s still available.

2. Then check Glassdoor’s review section. Filter it by date, as well. A lot of companies might have 3+ star rating but just went through big management changes or layoffs recently.

3. Once you’re sure it’s legit, go ahead and apply.

4. Never ever pay money to apply or be screened. The caveat is some companies require certain home office requirements. You may have to shell out some money for that.

5. Also, be very wary of too much work during the interview/application phase. Sometimes people use your work for free. Certain companies are hesitant to hire WFH people but will do it reluctantly. Be aware of trial phases, and if a company requires too much work up front (without pay), apply elsewhere.

INDUSTRIES AND COMPANIES THAT HIRE WFH WORKERS

Below is a list of industries that most commonly offer WFH jobs. They’re in no particular order, but it is worth noting that by and large, customer service jobs are the most frequent.

1. Customer service/IT/Sales (Twilio, ABC Financial, Sykes, Sutherland, Apple, American Express, Amazon, WayFair, TTEC, Concentrix, Conduent, LiveOps, Aspen, most big telecom companies, startups, InVision, Close.io, UHAUL, Starry, AAA, Gametime)

2. Marketing/advertising/social media/online publications (Aha!, Automattic, WebPageFX, Scribe Media, Wikimedia, Healthline, Vox, LionBridge, Kaplan, InVision, NerdWallet, Yesler)

3. Virtual assistants (Aira, 7Cups, noom, Writing Assistance, Starry, Dotdash, Trafilea lots of startups)

4. Designers/coders/QA (Auth0, Twilio, Phillips, GitHub, Automattic, Elastic, Wikimedia, Close.io, TEKsystems, TopTal)

5. Travel/hospitality (RemoteYear, World Travel Holdings, Wyndham Destinations, Cranky Concierge, American Express, AARP, AAA)

6. Teaching/tutoring (Sylvan, Rosetta Stone, Pearson, College Vine, Degreed, DuoLingo, VIPKid, Boxfish, QKids, italki, gogokids, Kaplan, PowerSchool, coding bootcamps like FullStack, Revolution Math, StudyPoint)

7. Health care (Privia Health, CVS, Walgreens, UnitedHealth Group, Doximity, Healthline, Broadpath, Franciscan Health, Brightree, Aspen Dental, 7Cups)

8. Transcription/Data entry (NetTranscripts, TransPerfect, Allegis Transcription, Westat, Rev.com)

21 Likes

You can add Rev Transcription to number 8! I have done transcription work through other companies and they pay decently and have an efficient platform for the actual transcription work.

5 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, @Kirsten! That company checks out on GlassDoor, so I updated the post

@adam Work from home jobs can indeed sometimes be to good to be true. One need to be so careful these days. Quite a bit of hype going on, which is nothing but hot air and empty promises. Although I’m not quite familiar with the mentioned sites in your outstanding post.

I have however worked with sites like Upwork, Guru and Freelancer. But job applications get approved based on your resume. Mostly online writing and social media jobs.

2 Likes

A lot of companies are making it possible to work from home. Especially with the the generational shift in our work force. I personally work for a company that was very traditional, but since I do digital marketing, I could do it from anywhere. I moved to be near my fiance for 6 months before we got married and since my job didn’t want to lose me, they made it possible to work from home. Now there is someone else in the company who works part time from home. Sometimes, all you gotta do is ask.

1 Like

Rat Race Rebellion is a great site for finding legit work at home jobs. They filter everything first and there is a huge variety of jobs on there.

5 Likes

Hey all, I’ve added several other companies that I’ve come across lately and vetted that hire all kinds of remote jobs.

Some new additions:

• Trafilea (marketing/virtual assistance)
  • StudyPoint (tutoring)
  • Qkids, gogokid, italki (English teaching)
  • Starry (telecom customer service/virtual assistance)
  • AAA (travel/customer service)
  • Gametime (customer service)
  • Walgreens and CVS (health care)
  • 7Cups (mental health care & virtual assistance)

Happy job hunting!

3 Likes

Thanks for the list I might look into some

1 Like

I came across a great article on this. Don’t know what is the police over here regarding sharing articles from other websites?
Can someone please enlighten me.

2 Likes