Grocery Store Unit Price Codes

Is anyone out there not using grocery store unit price codes when they shop?

unit-price

1 Like

LOL I don’t typically buy my olive oil by the gallon! But yes I do try to use the per ounce as a guide when comparison shopping. The hardest for me is toilet paper…double vs triple play, how many sheets am I really getting/how long will this actually last if it’s thinner than what we usually buy, etc.

The best toilet paper advice I ever got was buy Scott’s. Not only does it have a very low cost per unit–especially when you buy the biggest bag you can find, like at Costco–it also reliably degrades. Scott’s, Hellmann’s/Best Foods and Tide Pods are my go-to brands that I collect coupons, look for sales and buy in large quantities as long as the published costs per unit make sense.

Hi Savvy Susie: Scott’s for me, too, but my wife prefers Sam’s Members Mark. So we have 2 bathrooms and it’s not a problem. ?. I also love Hellman’s but you should try Duke’s and Blue Plate. They are very good, too. I’m in Florida so Publix rotates all 3 brands on their BOGOs, plus they take manufacturers’ coupons on top of the BOGO. How lucky is that!

Concerning unit pricing: I always check that, never assuming the larger quantity is better priced. I may only save .000057¢ per each, but that’s my money and I’m keeping it!?

I always check the unit price. It was how I randomly discovered one day that the name-brand raisins were actually cheaper than the generic version at my grocery store. I still don’t really understand it, but hey, not going to question it too much!

That is why you should always check the codes. Certain items, like ketchup and mustard, are notorious for inconsistencies when it comes to name and generic/store brands. One can save an enormous amount of money by simply reading UPCs.