Name Brand v. Store Brand

So, I saw this online and aside from the laughter it evoked, it started a thought process…

My family is pretty in tune now after years of my effort, at eating store brand items; however, I would love to substitute more branded items in my household. Does anyone have any tips or hacks in this area? What are some switches you have made at home?

1 Like

Sometimes I find it is trial & error. Buy a store brand & try it to see if you do like it.

With some things, we have been able to figure out if it is made by a national brand by packaging shapes, wording & ingredients on packages, etc.

1 Like

I don’t personally have any tips to share on this topic but thanks for sharing the image. This is a clever tactic to use to save money! laugh

1 Like

I’ve used store brands most of my life.
I grew up poor so my mom used store
bands.
Having 8 kids I had to keep track of
every little thing i spent money on.

There 5 of us still and 3 dogs. So I’m
still use store band unless I can get
name brand items for the same price
or 1 buck more than the store brand.
I try to keep our meats under $2.00
and can veggies under a $1 we have a
$ store here and at the holidays name brand
veggies go on sale 2 for a buck and if you have
a coupon for it even lower.

I don’t find much differences in name brand or
store brands. To allot of time some store brands
are made from name brands. I found this out awhile
ago. You just have to look and try some store brands

2 Likes

Thanks for the good information (and for sharing a bit of you)?

2 Likes

@paula.marie your very welcome. I love to share
what I know or have learned.

1 Like

If you, like many others, are a brand snob or simply prefer to see a little family of bears vacationing in hot springs on your toilet paper packaging instead of plain old “PUBLIX”, I feel you. If you are this person, but also a Penny Hoarder, I feel YOU! A great way to combat this label syndrome is to shop somewhere that simply does not give you an option, and at the same time doesn’t compromise on quality. May I present to you: Trader Joes. They sell items similar, if not better, than internationally recognized brands like Oreo, Nabisco, Tostitos, etc. Affordable prices, the packaging is adorkable, the household products are second to none, and Joe Joe’s are WAY better than Oreos.

2 Likes

ERoberts posted:

If you, like many others, are a brand snob or simply prefer to see a little family of bears vacationing in hot springs on your toilet paper packaging instead of plain old “PUBLIX”, I feel you. If you are this person, but also a Penny Hoarder, I feel YOU! A great way to combat this label syndrome is to shop somewhere that simply does not give you an option, and at the same time doesn’t compromise on quality. May I present to you: Trader Joes. They sell items similar, if not better, than internationally recognized brands like Oreo, Nabisco, Tostitos, etc. Affordable prices, the packaging is adorkable, the household products are second to none, and Joe Joe’s are WAY better than Oreos.

I’m in Canada & we don’t have Trader Joes here but every time I go to Seattle, I make sure to stop & pick up lots of great items! Are they located all across the US?

2 Likes

Nicole posted:

ERoberts posted:

I’m in Canada & we don’t have Trader Joes here but every time I go to Seattle, I make sure to stop & pick up lots of great items! Are they located all across the US?

Hi Nicole! I believe they are located across the US! Enjoy!

1 Like