Over Couponing

A few months ago i got into using the Dollar General and Family Dollar apps for their digital coupons. The main items that i seek are household items such as laundry detergent and fabric softener. I would only buy the items if they were less than $3 after using the coupons. I thought this was a good idea to load up while i can get them for cheaper than their regular non-sale price. Is it a good idea to load up certain household items for a cheap price even though you may not necessarily need them?

1 Like

@six.on.a.budget I think you might have some good insight on this question! Would love to hear your opinion =)

3 Likes

I would, but only if I were sure I would use them. And if I had a place for it!

So are the apps worth it for the digital coupons???

3 Likes

@kellyfromkeene I think that it is worth it, some weeks you can get really good deals.

3 Likes

I stockpile dry goods such as toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, dish detergent because we go through those items quickly with 5 in our household.

The only other items I will stockpile are toiletries such as toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner because I almost always get these for FREE with coupons or in the mail!

3 Likes

I all so have a family of 5 use o be 11. But yes the apps
and coupons are good to use. Like FREEBIEPHARM
said for toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, dish detergent
Shampoo all so dog food to

1 Like

Taking advantage of these coupons and buying in bulk can be helpful, especially when it comes to some of the items mentioned.

However, I always try to be on the lookout in case the ā€œdealsā€ that are being promoted are not really a good deal. Sometimes stores know how to package things in a way as to make them seem like a good deal when really you are getting it for average price or in the worse case actually paying more.

I know for example a lot of dollar stores like to package products in smaller portions and then sell them at ā€œcheaperā€ prices but when you look deeper, they are charging you the same amount as you would pay for that amount in bigger packaging. And when they package these as a ā€œdealā€ a lot of times they end up being about the same thing.

If you have done your research and found it to be a good deal, than buying in bulk can save you not only money but also time and gas.

Toiletries are one item my wife and I tend to stock up on because you can get a good deal for buying in bulk and they will last a long time.

Costco is my preferred place to purchase items in bulk.

4 Likes

@freebiepharm and @bonnie.squires, where do you find the great coupons for hair products? Thatā€™s my thing that I dont skimp on and I do budget for it, but I do make what I have lastā€¦ But Iā€™d love to cut back on that line item!

3 Likes

KellyFromKeene posted:

@freebiepharm and @bonnie.squires, where do you find the great coupons for hair products? Thatā€™s my thing that I dont skimp on and I do budget for it, but I do make what I have lastā€¦ But Iā€™d love to cut back on that line item!

@kellyfromkeene I mainly coupon CVS now. I donā€™t have much time to clip coupons so I use their digital coupons and printed ones from the red machine. You can combine manufacturer with store coupons and I typically get the items free. I also follow KrazyCouponLady for up to date info. on deals and freebies or moneymakers!

6 Likes

I havenā€™t looked into CVS or walgreens with using coupons, but i have heard that you can get some pretty good deals. I just need to check on their coupon policy and how their rewards work.

2 Likes

KELLYFROMKEENE

I use coupons if i can find them for coconut shampoo or vo5
when they are on sale at our Dollar general or Walmart. My daughter
and I are not to picky about shampoo. Our older son has to have Axe
every thing,some i canā€™t stand the smell of. lol But there one that comes
out at Christmas time he really likes and usually after Christmas they have
therm on sale and instead of pay $10 bucks or more he get them half price
to 9 percent off

2 Likes

FREEBIEPHARM I donā€™t we have a CVS near us but i know about half hour
my be an hour away we have a Walgreen.

2 Likes

In addition to ā€˜Krazy Coupon Ladyā€™ both ā€˜I heart CVSā€™ and ā€˜I heart Wagsā€™ are both great ways to plan a few weeks in advance for upcoming sales - both have ad scans available and sometimes show coupon match-ups that are availableā€¦ I like the digital apps for digital coupons and still use regular couponsā€¦

4 Likes

SHANNON H thank you

Great tips. Thanks for sharing @shannon.h

1 Like

I LLOOVVEE COUPONS!! That being said, I will only coupons for items that we will actually use or that are 100% free that I can donate. I will have a couple to a few stockpiled away depending on the item. I donā€™t have a bunker like basements stockpiled like on TLCā€™s Extreme Couponers, I only stockpile what I can store, unless the item is free & wonā€™t be free again for a long time. Once you know your prices & your storesā€™ sale cycles, you can really find the deals. Check the clearance sections of stores too, usually you can use your coupons on top of the clearance prices.

I have heard that CVS & Dollar General have great digital coupons (unfortunately we donā€™t have them in Canada). A couple of local grocery chains have just started loading coupons onto their apps, before their apps were just the loyalty card you scanned. Our coupons donā€™t scan here either, the cashiers have to ring them in manually.

**This morning I needed milk & walked down to the local drug store, I found a carton of Nestea on sale for $2 with a $3 off coupon, they paid me to take it out of the store! It isnā€™t something I would normally purchase but my kids will be so excited for a treat!

2 Likes

NICOLE Yes Dollar General does have digital coupons
but you can only use it once. Which means if you needed
more than one you canā€™t get it. Even if you went to a different
store you still couldnā€™t get it. Iā€™m just saying.

1 Like

I love couponing at Family Dollar and CVS. I love digital coupons. CVS has started sending 30 percent coupons to me by mail. I stack those with digital and paper coupons along CVS store coupons. I coupon for my daughter as well. I have a stockpile and give items as gifts. I made a gift basket for a housewarming party, and giving away another for a friendā€™s birthday. 20190609_13472720190607_10244020190607_102506