Have you tried jumping into the driver's seat to earn extra money with food delivery apps?

Hey, all!

I’m curious to know what everyone’s experiences have been regarding delivering with food apps—Grubhub, Doordash, Uber Eats, etc. I’ve done it a few times and made a decent $15-20 an hour, which is great to grab a bit of extra money for hobbies.

We recently published a guide on getting the most out of your deliveries, and I’m curious to see if anyone also has any additional tips while on the road.

Cheers!

1 Like

I accrued a little credit card debt and have a somewhat low-interest loan I’ve been eager to pay off. Plus I have wedding and travel expenses that are coming up fast! I’m seriously tempted to try some deliveries on the side to make some extra cash.

Great article – I’m more inclined to try grocery deliveries, so it’s good to know what to watch out for!

i would be scared to deliver any products today,

There is no way in the world I would do this, too risky.

My son in law was recently car jacked at gun point delivering an order to a bad neighborhood. The 3 thugs took his car and literally ran it into the ground until it would not go anymore, totaled. The police eventually found it and there were bullet casings in it, fortunately he is ok. Now begins the aftermath, he is involved with insurance investigation and waiting for a payout, storage fees-which he had dismissed, red light and toll tickets from the joy ride, floundering to find a new vehicle so he can continue driving, rentals, and lots of in between problems from Uber and Lyft. On top of this the car still had loan payments on it and no GAP insurance.

He decided to get another occupation, but this is yet to be seen and he is about a year out from the car jacking. So far he has taken the option of not delivering to certain areas.

Delivery can definitely be a good side income but it really depends on which areas.

Each app works better in different areas so it may take some time to find the app that works best for you.

You also have to take into consideration the safety of your area as has already been mentioned, also, depending on your vehicle situation, it may not actually be worth it when you factor in the wear and tear on your vehicle.

My area is actually great for delivery apps. The area is only about 200,000 people and everything is within a 20 min drive from everywhere. It is also a fairly safe city so I am more comfortable doing it here.

That being said, I have signed up for nearly every delivery service available in my town and I still have to pick and choose which apps I use and it can change from time to time which ones are the most profitable.

I have made as much as $1,000 just doing evenings and weekends while other weeks I earn $300 so its not something I would ever want to have to depend on entirely, but it is definitely a nice boost of cash when I need it.