How I'm Making Money on Poshmark

I previously commented in the side hustle post about selling on Poshmark. I’m currently am selling maternity clothes that I recently stopped wearing and I bought a box of returned Amazon clothes from Liquidation.com for $300 with shipping. In just a few weeks I’ve made $180. I had no sales the week of Christmas, but they seem to be picking back up. So far, I’ve made $110 off my maternity clothes and $70 off of 3 items from the Amazon returns. I’ve been slow to post pictures on Poshmark due to the holiday, having a 2.5 year old and 4 month old at home, and a husband that is often away. The Amazon return box I purchased had a 104 items with an Amazon retail value of $3,300. I’ve actually have found the retail value to be much higher. I currently have half of the inventory posted and priced at around $1,800 before I give any discounts and Poshmark takes their cut. I do have a few items that aren’t sellable. I have some Nike shorts that have a hole cut in them, my husband took them to wear around the house. I have a pair of jeans that were clearly exchanged for a new pair and I’ll probably donate. There are a few items that I have no idea what size they are and they don’t seem to have too much value to them, I’ll probably donate those. My goal was to at least double or triple my money. I’m pretty sure at this rate I will at least triple my money. I did take some Amazon gift cards I had earned to upgrade my photos. I bought a background for $15, a mannequin for $40, and lighting for $40, these items aren’t necessary to start, but I highly recommend it after you make some sales. I’ve attached the before and after pictures. Anyone else sell on Poshmark, Mercari, Ebay, or another site? IMG_7119IMG_6626

2 Likes

Sounds like you are doing a great job! I don’t sell muchmuch clot but I have personally sold things on both eBay and Mercari. eBay is great because they have such a huge audience, but it does take a bit of a learning curve and the fees can be a lot. Mercari was a great place to sell until they suspended my account randomly will no explanation. I tried to get them to unsuspend me but they never would.

1 Like

I have sold some on Mercari. I like Poshmark a little better and maybe because I’ve used it. I like that I don’t have to deal with the shipping cost part.

Since I first posted, my sales are up to $525. $260 is from the box I bought for $300. I still have a few high priced items from my Amazon returns box and still am on track to at least triple my money.

1 Like

I sold on eBay for year, and then the fees finally got me. I had to stop. I still have half a room of inventory here and then some. I’ve been given several different sites to sell these things on, but I’ve heard from some friends of several new sites. We thought of selling them through a fund-raiser for my sister for her bills in her fight against breast cancer. Her daughter knows many wealthy clients in their area, and they’ve said that some of the items I have they are looking for. Always weight the pro’s and cons of each site you sell on, your cost to post the item, the fees and what it will cost you to ship the item even if the other party pays the shipping. ALWAYS carry insurance on things shipped. It will save you a lot of heartache.

3 Likes

This is awesome! I was selling like this on Poshmark a little while back, and need to start it back up again! I actually had quite a few sales just from doing it on the side. My biggest hurdle is finding items to list…my go to has been shopping at goodwill for brand name clothes that I can list for a higher price…

2 Likes

I know others source at goodwill and Salvation Army, but I don’t have time or patience to go hunt for stuff with 2 little ones. I found someone to buy wholesale PINK Victoria Secret items. I’ve sold some stuff from that box and I have lots of interest, it’s not selling as fast as I want it to. I did just buy another box from liquidation.com and it looks promising. I paid $500 with shipping for it. There’s a gorgeous dress with tags that sells in stores for $300. I have it listed for $175 and I would be happy if I got at least $125 for it. There are 114 items in the box that retails for over $5k. I listed 13 of those items the first day and those alone will make back my investment. My goal this year is to get up to 500 active listings and make $1k a month. If anyone is interested in following me, you can at Poshmark.com/closets/cmcalpine

5 Likes

Wow, thanks for the tips! 1k a month…your goals are my new inspiration!!

1 Like

That sounds like a winner to me! My wife and I are going to start going to the Goodwill Stores around here again and picking some things up and selling them. We’ve done that with flea markets, garage sales. We used to ship a lot and had the mailing program on our computer to print out not only invoices for the items, but also the postage, etc. It would also divide all the expenses into the right categories. My wife wants to make an extra $1,500 a month. I think that’s possible. You’ve got some good ideas…Keep 'em going!

3 Likes

I use to sell on ebay. But got sick
so I can’t do things like the shipping
to i’ve broken 2 fingers.

1 Like

Update: my sales are up to $1100. I have been reinvesting my earnings and currently have $800 out of pocket left. I plan to start paying myself some next month. My husband and I agreed I would split the money 5 ways, reinvest, savings, family fun, spending money for me, and spending money for him. I had my biggest day yesterday of $135 (4 items) and that’s after Poshmark fees. I spent Friday night rebranding and setting up social media pages. I now have a new name (brickwallshop), Instagram, Twitter, Facebook page, and Tumblr for my items. I’m now sharing all my listings to those social media sites. They are separate from my personal pages so I don’t bombard my friends and I’m not sharing personal stuff with customers like pictures of my kids. Also, if anyone has any tips on Tumblr, I’ll take them, because I know nothing about it.

1 Like

Bonnie, when I was injured back in the 1990’s, I had someone come in and help me for just a few hours a week…for me it was a friend who just wanted a little pocket money, to help get the shipping ready. I know that there are some people in our area that have high school kids do the same thing because they have so many things going out and can’t do it all themselves. Other ideas? Sr. Citizens who just want something to do for a few bucks, to build friendships, etc, and even church friends…anything that will help.

1 Like

@averagejoe thanks rite now i can’t afford to pay
any one rite now.

1 Like

Bonnie, you might be able to get free help from friends or family if you have any in the area. We have done this on several occasions in the past. Don’t limit yourself to thinking all people would want to be paid. Many WANT to see you succeed in anything and everything you do.

2 Likes

@averagejoe I know that is very true to.
This tone we lived in when we first moved
to Ks. I’ve all ready seen a couple people I
know. Yesterday I even got a dryer from one
for free. He paid the money the person wanted
for it because I don’t get paid till Friday.

1 Like

AverageJoe posted:

I sold on eBay for year, and then the fees finally got me. I had to stop. I still have half a room of inventory here and then some. I’ve been given several different sites to sell these things on, but I’ve heard from some friends of several new sites. We thought of selling them through a fund-raiser for my sister for her bills in her fight against breast cancer. Her daughter knows many wealthy clients in their area, and they’ve said that some of the items I have they are looking for. Always weight the pro’s and cons of each site you sell on, your cost to post the item, the fees and what it will cost you to ship the item even if the other party pays the shipping. ALWAYS carry insurance on things shipped. It will save you a lot of heartache.

check out Thred up. You can just send it all in at once. I’ve bought and sold with mixed results on the buying because an XL size has a wide range of measurements between manufacturers!

1 Like

MiniPantherMom posted:

This is awesome! I was selling like this on Poshmark a little while back, and need to start it back up again! I actually had quite a few sales just from doing it on the side. My biggest hurdle is finding items to list…my go to has been shopping at goodwill for brand name clothes that I can list for a higher price…

I have been having much better luck with garage sales and Facebook Marketplace lately. Usually, garage sales listed show pics of what they are selling and you can tell if it has what you are looking for or you can msg the seller. IF they will tell you. The prices are much lower and negotiable whereas I find that Goodwill and Salvation Army charges high prices. It is like they know the better brands and charges more regardless of the condition! You can catch their “sale” days to save on the sourcing of the clothes.

I’ve got friends selling on all three. I know when my sister was fighting breast cancer they had yard sales a few times, sold on Ebay, some sold on Poshmark and others were selling through low budget adverts through some local college papers. They raised a little over the three week period of time and got a few dollars on FB. We currently have several bags of clothes we need to go through, along with other things in our garage from our move here 14 years ago, and also some items we were selling through catalogues back in the late '90s that are making a comeback. They would great items for children, and some for collectables. The clothing, well…some are back in style now, and others seem to be coming back slowly. I believe my wife is going to try and sell them on Poshmark.

Thank you everyone for the great information on selling on Poshmark! I have been buying in Poshmark for a while now. I love that site and have often considered selling in addition to buying… However, every time I mention it I am immediately shot down. i have watched videos made by successful Poshmark sellers…but until I saw the posts on this site I was uinable to get a sense of whether or not it would be worth tryimg.it, clearly. it is !

3 Likes

Shot down how @paula.marie? Everyone has their own experiences and successes. Poshmark may work for you. I say you go for it! There is nothing to lose!!

I have a closet for sale on Poshmark and have sold a few things but I find that their “fees” are way too high. Plus you have to wait for the buyer to receive and “approve” the item before you get paid. And they have about 3 days to decide. I did not like waiting on the payment for them to go in and approve it.

I have some expensive purses listed that are well over $1000-$1600 in value and I’ve listed them at aggressive prices but still, all I get is 100 likes and no purchases. Offers for trades but no cash. lol Anyone know much about Mercari? I’ve heard mixed reviews but I am unfamiliar with the app.

@leslie.kay I enjoyed selling on Mercari… for the 3 months I was able to. Then without notice or explanation they banned me from selling or buying on the platform.

It is similar to Posmark in that you have to wait for the buyer to get the item to get paid, but it was generally right away as soon as the buyer got it and they are required to leaving you a rating right away.

But obviously, they must be very picky about people sticking to their terms and conditions.

I reached out multiple times asking what I had done wrong but all I got was “we can’t tell you but you are banned”

Anyone here sell or heard of Bonanza.com? They have been around for years and claim to be “the best place to sell online” but I could just never get any traction or sell anything on their platform.