How to get a cheaper cell phone

I would appreciate suggestions on how to have a cheaper Smart Phone. Mine is costing me 100.00 or more a month. Only $13.00 of that is the monthly phone payment. Because of my location I am limited to US cellular or similar for Northeast Iowa.

1 Like

I have USCellular and I pay about 50$ month. no phone payment anymore. I need USCell as well because it seems that they have the best rural coverage and I live in NH. I had to go into the store and talk about plans to lower my bill, and it worked.

4 Likes

So what type of phone did you get and how did you get the bill lowered to $50.00?

Thank you for your reply,

3 Likes

Try Boom Mobile, uses the Verizon network. Unlimited calls & texts, 2 gb data for 29.99 all fees included. 5gb of data 39.99. I bought an unlocked phone from Amazon.

1 Like

I am not sure how US Cellular works, but I do know people who use it in different parts of the States.

I personally use Cricket Wireless. They seem to have the best priced plans and the best coverage I have found. Not sure if they work in your area, but if they do, it might be worth checking out.

1 Like

@never.give.up, I have an iPhone. Once I paid it off, I haven’t upgraded or anything because it works well. I am online mostly with wifi, but do a lot of driving, so I needed some data for GPS but not a ton. I just went in and told them that I needed to find a way to lower my bill or i would need to go elsewhere. I wish I could remember the details of my plan, but I don’t. I could look on my bill if you want more specific info.

1 Like

KellyFromKeene posted:

I have USCellular and I pay about 50$ month. no phone payment anymore. I need USCell as well because it seems that they have the best rural coverage and I live in NH. I had to go into the store and talk about plans to lower my bill, and it worked.

I have been with US Cellular since 2000 with the exception of 2 years. About 5 years my husband put us on Sprint with a 2 year contract. We could not wait to get back to US Cellular. We even started marking off days on the calendar. With Sprint we had poor coverage and dropped calls in addition to higher cost. Will never leave US Cellular again. Our bill is $ 100 a month for both phones. I will cut expenses anywhere other than my phone bill.

1 Like

Exactly, @shirley.t! I did the same, went to Sprint and I could not leave quick enough.

Tello-$9-$40. use your existing phone or pick up a refurbished new unit to save money. This new service is the cheapest that I have seen. Not sure of coverage areas.

I use A T & T for my iPhone which is paid off, and my mom gave me for free. It’s a 6, but hey it’s paid off! I pay $43 a month, taxes included, since I have a pre-paid plan. Before I was paying around $75-80 a month, which was just way too much money.