Retirement

I retired in 2015 from a corporate position. After a few weeks I went to elementary school to deliver lunch to my grandkids and I was asked to work by the principal. I started at the school and several years later I am still working. I have at least a few days off a month, I do not have to attend meetings or plan lessons. I have the summers off, and if I want to work full time it is available. They have a great benefit package with a 7% matching fund. It takes 5 years to be vested. This job, has allowed me a monthly income, the ability to wait to take social security and have the social interaction while continuing my education in life and learning. The pay is more than most part time positions. If you are looking for a position that fulfills your heart, gives you a learning experience, helps you stay involved with your children or grandchildren, has great benefits, I strongly urge you to check out the schools in your neighborhoods. They will appreciate you and you will grow.

My wife currently works as a teachers assistant at a private school and she loves her job. I am curious, was your past experience in education?

1 Like

No, Actually I was a Manager of Quality Assurance at a Pharmaceutical Company. I loved my job but after 43 years, I left to help take care of my grandchildren. They grew up and I wanted to do more but I wanted to continually learn and found it is better for me to be in an educational setting. Many jobs pay more but I no longer wanted to work 60-70 hours a week, attend 4-6 hours of meetings, and be on call for the job. This has worked out great for me.

2 Likes

@teachable.grandma that is awesome that you were able to find something that works well for you and that you enjoy!

1 Like